Monday, June 16, 2014

Tales of The World Cup & The World of Beer

In the past week, I did have some interesting experiences. Last Monday wasn't really one of them. I went to Steak & Shake with someone I know and having dinner there was a mundane nothing out of the ordinary experience. Tuesday, though, I finally went to my first Tampa Bay Rays game of the season. It was against the St. Louis Cardinals. It was an interleague game; without giving a detailed explanation for those that know little about Major League Baseball, these teams only play once every few years. I have seen the Cardinals live before, way back in the late 90's. The attendance at the game wasn't bad for a Rays game... except that there were many St. Louis fans in attendance. No surprise as I know many people from the Midwest end up in Florida... me included.

Before the game I went to a mall I don't think I've been to in a few years, that being the West Shore Plaza. I took a different way to get there and the traffic was still aggravating (a them for the week, really) but it was still preferable to dealing with the ever-constant annoyance and stress of I-4 traffic. I did not spend as much time there as I expected but it's largely the same as when I was there last. I then ate at a PDQ for the first time since late March; I really dig their food and I wish they had a location closer to where I live than an hour's drive away.

At the game itself, the Cardinals beat the Rays 1-0. This year Tampa Bay has been a real lousy team for a variety of reasons; as of now they literally have the worst record in all of Major League Baseball. It's just like the days when they were the Devil Rays and each year they were the crappiest team. Their offense in this game was offensive. They had opportunities to score but they could not convert and it was frustrating. Don't be fooled, even though it was just 1-0 I was still entertained by the game. I sat in the upper deck again, but this time in the first row, which was a pretty nice view. One of these days I'll sit in the lower deck  of Tropicana Field closer to the field than the outfield area... one day. Thankfully I had little trouble with the people I was sitting by. That hasn't always been the case. Also, it was a rainy thunderstorm night there so I am glad the team plays in an indoor stadium. You could hear the thunder booming and the rain hit the roof. Hilariously, before the game they had a weather report from a local meteorologist and he proclaimed there “might” be some slight rain. Boy 

Wednesday and Thursday were dull, so onto Friday. On that day, I did several things. For too long now, my pillow case had a big rip and I finally decided not only to replace it but also get new bedsheets and a light blanket for all times in Florida except winter. I went to Kohl's and I got one for a fair price; it was microfiber so it's pretty comfortable. After that I decided to go to the World of Beer again, but this time up in Lake Mary. Each WoB location has various differences in the beer they have on stock so there is a reason why you should visit different locations. They have up menus for all their locations so that helps in picking one in particular to visit. It was located in an outdoor shopping plaza I hadn't been for more than a year. It's largely the same as it was during my last visit. I ate at a Lime Fresh Mexican Grill as my last time there had to be months ago. After I ate there I walked on over to the nearby World of Beer.

While I was there, I had a Pilsen beer from Uruguay (as when else can I have such an opportunity?), a Tiger beer from Singapore, and a Flensburger Weizen from Germany; I've never had a hefeweizen beer before and it has a different taste; all 3 were fine. Not all the beers I wanted were in stock; alas. The main sporting event on the televisions was the World Cup game between Australia and Chile. I do know some people who have played-or still play-the sport; I'll say that I'd like to enjoy the sport and watch it frequently. However, I am turned off by how corrupt the sport is (and that doesn't even count all the World Cup controversy) and especially the gross trend of players flopping and faking injuries. That's just horrible and a real good reason for me not to follow it too closely. Anyhow, my time there went fine and Chile won the game.

Saturday and Sunday I did not do anything at all. It was fine with me. It was rainy all this past week, but especially the past two days. I did not even go out to see the UFC pay per view, as the card did not look so hot. I only saw some of the fights there were for free on TV. I heard that the pay per view portion was not a lot of fun to watch so I ended up making a wise choice.

This upcoming week, I actually do have some things I plan on doing; also, some special guests are visiting from elsewhere, so it should be a nice and not unexciting week for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment