Monday, April 7, 2014

Florida Traffic Gripes, Wrestlemania & Being A Beer Connoisseur

At times I had a pretty different past 7 days. I did not do anything the last Monday of March so let me skip ahead to April Fools Day and nothing I say here is a joke. I somewhat last minute decided to go to a MovieStop in order to look at (mostly) used DVD's and Blu-Rays and see if they had anything interesting. I did make a purchase there and got some discs. I then went on I-Drive (it's never a fun time having to be on that tourist nightmare of a road) and I ate at a Tilted Kilt, as my last time at one of those restaurants was last summer; I like their food... the views aren't bad either!

I had a more interesting time there than expected. The food I had was good, but I had more to consume than expected. I had the lager that Tilted Kilt makes themselves, and it was fine. I noticed a poster advertising KCCO Black Lager. I was surprised, as that's a reference to The Chive website. You'd think I'd enjoy such a site; unfortunately there are various aspects about it (especially the thing where they brag and point out if a girl has “a thigh gap” as if that's somehow THE hottest thing when I've never heard a guy say that's great and much of it depends on a lady's body type and yet I know that ideal has caused young girls to develop eating disorders... yeah, that site is not one I visit too often, due to the incredible creep and douche factor it has. I still wanted to try their beer, though. The bartender accidentally gave me the wrong beer, which was OK as I also was interested in the new Miller Fortune, which is high-octane beer. It's Miller, so it's about what you'd expect. I then had the Black Lager and it's a typical black lager, nothing more nor less. I had more drinks when I got home and I did not feel the best on Wednesday, but alas.

Wednesday, the only thing I did was go to Walmart and it was uneventful. Thursday and Friday I did not do anything, except that on Friday I had an issue with my laptop and for a moment I thought there would be trouble. I thankfully was able to quickly rectify the situation, so let me talk about the weekend. Saturday, I had to drop off a family member at the airport, but not in Orlando; rather it was in St. Petersburg.

The drive there... Lord almighty, the traffic on Interstate 4. I know that everyone in Florida hates I-4 due to how busy it is and there's often congestion, but it was near-constant congestion and there were plenty of awful drivers to see. Even after dropping off that person at the airport there was a lot of traffic on the road, and I was taken a little aback by that. Speaking of traffic, just earlier today while out on the road I had to deal with idiots and even in early April of 2014, I STILL once in awhile see something extraordinarily stupid I haven't seen before and I can not explain. It happened in my neighborhood; some dope on a side street pulled out but stopped halfway... and remained stopped halfway into the road! I honestly can not explain it. I had to swerve around him and as it was a street on a small hill I was not able to see what he ended up doing (a u-turn or whatever else); this is the sort of buffoonery I have to deal with most of the time I have to drive somewhere in Florida, no exaggeration.

Anyhow, I still spent a few hours in the Tampa area as I don't make it out that way much anymore. I had lunch at a restaurant in Clearwater... Hooters! It was the very first Hooters, too. I had been there before but that was years ago. It was about what you'd expect. I then went to the International Plaza Mall in Tampa. I hadn't been there in months and it was nice to walk around; I had some ice cream, which I greatly appreciated. I then stopped at the just-opened Trader Joe's they have on the south side of Tampa; it being a Saturday afternoon and it being new, they needed a cop to direct traffic in and out of the parking lot. I did not spend too much time in there due to how crowded it was but I still purchased a few items. I then took the Veterans Expressway north (it's a toll road but worth the price to avoid I-4) and cut over east to head back home. It was a nice-if long-day going to some different places.

Sunday, the only thing I did was watch Wrestlemania. As I have the WWE Network the show was streaming for free there; it was a nice deal. From the pre-show match at 6:30 up to 8:30 it was a quality show. I mean, no complaints. From 8:30 up to 11, though, it was not such a quality show, with too long matches (one that many enjoyed but I didn't seemed to last for approximately 900 minutes), overbooked nonsense and other things. At least the ending (well, most aspects of it) was really cool and to think that in the past before he went to WWE, I actually talked to Daniel Bryan (i.e. Bryan Danielson) several times after local independent wrestling shows and he razzed me... but in a nice way. He gave me song long hugs, for example; no kidding. It's amazing to think of those times and now in 2014 he is hugely popular and I am glad for it he's been given the ball despite not being as tall or being ripped muscular as, say, John Cena or Batista. And like everyone else I was shocked by a match result as no one had any clue it would happen, even the hardcore people who cover pro wrestling and all its inside backstage news.

This upcoming week I have some ideas as to what I'll be doing but nothing is set in stone yet. While I won't be making any roadtrips like I did to the Tampa Bay area, I should have an interesting thing or two to discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment