Monday, April 21, 2014

The Story of Technology Woes & Khabib Nurmagomedov

Khabib is a UFC fighter (a very good one, as a matter of fact) and I'll explain later my issues with technology.

This past Monday I did not do anything and the same goes for Tuesday, so let me mention a random aside: I know it's been a long while since I've mentioned Australian rules football and the Australian Football League. In late September I watched the final game live, where Hawthorn defeated Fremantle 77-62. The season started back up about a month ago and I've seen bits and pieces of some games and one full game. At least I've followed it from the start of the season.

Wednesday, I decided to go out and about. With the way that Windows 7 was acting on my laptop, I figured it was the perfect time to get Windows 8.1 from a Microsoft store, do a clean install and wipe the hard drive clean before installing 8.1. That would ensure I'd have no further quirks or odd things happening when I have the laptop on. I went to the store that's at the Mall at Millenia. After I made that purchase I walked around the mall for a bit before deciding to have dinner at a restaurant I hadn't been to for awhile: BJ's Brewhouse & Restaurant. I had their pizza, which was real good. What wasn't real good was some of the loud idiot customers there, but alas... I tried to ignore them the best I could. Anyway, I wasn't going to install 8.1 right away, but I had an issue with the laptop... in short, after backing up what I needed to back up, the installation happened, and since then I've had no problems.

Thursday, the refrigerator was the next bit of technology to cause problems; it still worked, but not very well. A middle-aged dude came over and was able to fix the problem right then and there and it wasn't anything complicated. It wasn't cheap but getting a new fridge and having to buy a lot of new food would have been far costlier. In the evening me and someone went out to a local chain that has a few locations around the county I live in; it's known as Oakwood Smokehouse & Grill. It's a popular place with “older folks”, which is fine with me. They make decent food so it's nice to go there once in awhile.

Friday, the only thing I did was go out to the new Wawa that opened up in town. It looks like a typical Wawa, nothing more and nothing less. I got gas then went inside to get a beverage. As I got out it started to rain; it really came out of nowhere and I was hoping not to get rained on which is why I went at that time.

Saturday, that was the day of action. For the first time the UFC came to Orlando at the Amway Center and it was one of their shows where the last 4 fights are on Fox, meaning the card was likely going to be good and in fact it was pretty good on paper. I sat in the lower half of the upper bowl and besides the fact that Amway Center seats don't always have the best legroom, it otherwise was a nice-enough view for me to see everything. Of course I knew there'd be plenty of meatheads around who would utter and yell out the most inane BS, from what sounded like gibberish to giving stupid advice to the fighters and the referees, and that's what I got. People drinking for hours aided in such things. I was able to mostly tune them out, at least. They didn't seem to like Kahbib's fight; I know his style isn't the flashiest but it was still dumb as he's still impressive; hell, he's 22-0 in his career.

Not everyone does it (which is usually stupid to me) but I showed up on time and saw the entire 13 card fight; with the commercial breaks from Fox added in, the show lasted from 3:30 to about 10:30. It was long but at least I was able to eat a small Papa John's pizza and some Cold Stone Creamery ice cream.

As for the show, despite the idiots there, the card was pretty good overall. I enjoyed practically all of the fights. After the show I was just gonna go home... then I saw all the traffic in the area and at the parking garage I was at, I would have been there for awhile in the car just waiting to leave the garage, so I decided to do the typical downtown Orlando things, meaning the Ghost Bar & Lounge. There really isn't too much to say; I only spent around an hour there in order to kill time. I was too tired to stay longer. As for the next time I'll be in downtown Orlando... who knows. I can't believe I am saying this, but that whole thing doesn't seem as exciting as it used to be. Maybe I am getting old! At least I still manage to find things to write about in this blog... I have no idea when I'll be back to the Amway Center either.

Easter Sunday, the way I was feeling with being stiff & sore and tired, I was happy to stay at home and do absolutely nothing. I had a nice ham dinner; I understand it's a common meal to have on that day. I did in fact watch some more Australian rules football on the TV late at night.

When I return next Monday, I know I'll be seeing a movie on the big screen and I'll be somewhere to see the latest UFC pay per view; otherwise... it probably won't be as interesting as this entry into the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment