Monday, February 3, 2014

Saratoga Springs, Walmart Prayers & The Superb Owl

No, I am not referencing Stephen Colbert with The Superb Owl. I don't watch that program and I just discovered he used that phrase a matter of hours ago. Rather, I know someone (I don't know if they want their name mentioned or not) who used that phrase before this year. I don't know if he came up with it himself or borrowed it from somewhere else, but I figured I should use it here.

Here is what I've done since the last blog. I actually did something of note last Monday after I posted the blog. I was able to go to Walt Disney World... Downtown Disney to be exact. I parked, walked around for a bit then hopped onto a bus to enjoy their free transportation and I ended up at their Saratoga Springs Resort; I don't think I need to mention which famous city it was modeled after. I walked around the place and it's pretty nice; it's definitely larger than I expected... and yeah that is what she said. Anyhow, I had a quick service dinner there of chicken nuggets and chips; it was good. As I've said before Disney always does a nice job with its resort hotels. I don't think their more expensive places are doing well attendance-wise, but alas.

Tuesday and Wednesday I did not do much at all. A main theme for this week is cleaning my bedroom and adjacent bathroom, as both were filthy and needed a cleaning. So, let me skip ahead to Thursday. My parents had a pair of old friends come down here and visit. They had been here before. They decided to go with an expensive dinner so off we went to Boma's, the buffet style meal at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, again at Walt Disney World. There was a place I had been once before. I know I don't have the most diverse taste when it comes to food but they had more than enough there for me to eat. It was chilly on that early evening but it was OK.

Friday, I had to go to Walmart to look for some containers; they were to hold the crap I have in my room. They do make a big difference in making it look cleaner. After that I went to Burger King for dinner, which I ate at home. My time at Walmart was surprisingly light in terms of drama or frustration. However, I did see something and like I sometimes say, this could only happen to me. As I was walking into the store, so was someone else... and they made The Sign of the Cross before walking into Walmart! I have no idea why he would do such a thing, unless he needed the strength of The Lord to deal with the usual sort of people that you find at a Walmart, which IS understandable to me...

Saturday, I decided to be responsible and the only time I went out was to purchase more containers to put crap in and help make my room not as messy. I made the purchase at Office Depot. I decided to watch the UFC pay per view at home instead of going out to a place like Buffalo Wild Wings to check it out. I'll leave it at that. As I continued with the cleaning I saw a good amount of the undercard then the pay per view itself. The undercard was pretty bad and to be honest, cleaning my room was actually more entertaining! The pay per view portion had a great opener and some interesting moments but overall wasn't all that hot either. Staying in was a good decision on my part.

Sunday... oh Sunday. It was Super Bowl Sunday and things did not go quite as planned. I won't rant and rave about it, except to say that I tried to go to one place in Orlando but it was jam-packed with people so I left then went to a nearby joint and they were having a private party so I got mad and I went to downtown Orlando as it was close by. In the past when I went to sports bars to see the big game the places were rarely busy so I was not expecting these issues. As I knew for certain Ghost Bar & Lounge would be open and showing the game, I figured I should go there. Various people went in and out for the game but unfortunately (at least for the place) usually not that many people were around. Not too much to say about my time there except that I was a gentleman near the end of the game; most of the time I was there I was able to be seated to watch the game. I did give up my seat so that a pair of ladies could sit by their guy friend.

As for the game, I was rooting for the Seattle Seahawks to defeat the Denver Broncos. No offense against Denver; it's just that unlike the Broncos, Seattle has never won the big prize before and their defense is really impressive to me. It looked to be a really close game, so of course Seattle won 43-8 in the biggest ass-whipping in the Super Bowl in 21 years. The Seahawks looked so good as a team; many players played so well. As for the ads and the halftime show, I thought both were the best they've been in at least a few years. I already know that's not a popular view but that's OK. Bruno Mars is actually a rare modern pop act I don't strongly dislike; I am perfectly fine with him and the halftime show with the Red Hot Chili Peppers was good to me.

I was saddened when early in the afternoon I heard that Philip Seymour Hoffman passed away due to a likely OD. I've only seen a few of his films but of course I know how good of an actor he was and it just sucks, especially considering he had a wife and kids.

Nothing's on the agenda yet for the upcoming week. As I say often, I'll end up stumbling into activities that will give me material to write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment