Monday, February 17, 2014

Redbox, Russian Trampolines, & Redneck Family Christmases

The explanation for the title is that in the past week I used a Redbox for the very first time, a Russian Trampoline isn't something vulgar but instead was the name of a jump in the downhill competition at the Winter Olympics, & the last part relates to an incredible find at a giant flea market, of all things.

I already mentioned the one big thing I did this past Monday, which was getting a much-needed haircut. So, let me skip ahead to Tuesday, and that was an interesting day. I could have done several different things but I decided to keep it simple. I needed to look for something at IKEA so I figured I'd do it on this day. I walked around there and got a few low-buck items, including what I wanted and some food & drink. After that I walked around the nearby Mall at Millenia and I ate at The Cheesecake Factory. I brought home a cheesecake, because I wanted to.

Wednesday, the only thing I did was go to Walgreens to look for a new can of shaving cream. I couldn't tell you why the old can I had suddenly startiing spewing it's contents uncontrollably but it did so I threw it out. Thursday wasn't the warmest day so I stayed in and relaxed. Friday, I went to a RaceTrac and then a 7/11 gas station. I got a gallon of milk for the house and that was about it.

Saturday, that was the day of excitement. Again, I could have done a few things but I decided to go to a place I went to once before for a pretty bad local wrestling show WAY back when. I believe it was in December of '04. It was the International Market World of Auburndale. It is a giant flea market. I've been to my share of flea markets before, just not that one. I walked around for a good amount of time and it can be easy to lose track of where you are. I did make some minor purchases. More on that later. I did see plenty of “rural” people, to put it nicely To be mean, gawking at them and how they looked and acted was quite amusing. They lived up-or down-to stereotypes.

After that I drove on over to nearby Lakeland. I was at their open-air mall for a bit and I made a minor purchase from their Books-A-Million. I then returned to a restaurant I really wish would be closer to Orlando: PDQ. Their food is great. I had chicken fingers & fries & a chocolate shake. After that I filled up and got gas before driving home. I saw part of the free UFC show from Brazil... but not all of it, as it was pretty bad.

Sunday, I went to the local Publix grocery store to pick up a few items and that was it... until the evening. A few times before I've gotten blank VHS tapes that were used by others to tape old movies or what have you; those came from flea markets or from a thrift store. I saw the likes of the Winter Olympics... from 1988 and movies taped off of the Showtime Network... in 1981. They were a gas, but not as much as when among the VHS tapes I got yesterday I picked out one named “Christmas”. Believe it or not it actually is a 37 minute deal that some random “rural” family filmed on two days way back when during the holiday season. I thought I saw a date of 1992 on a Christmas stocking so I'll go with that.

Oh My God, that 37 minutes of footage was amazing. It may be my favorite comedy of 2014. I know I shouldn't laugh at what legit is a home movie that someone filmed of their family and it somehow ended up at a flea market, but why was it there to begin with? Pretty strange. The sights I saw... they were the definition of a redneck family. They looked like the type of people I saw at the aforementioned flea market. Besides the fact that they all just looked “interesting”, most of the adults smoked cigarettes, acid-washed jeans were everywhere, there were cans of Busch beer everywhere, the gifts included Harley-Davidson merchandise and a bottle of Jack Daniel's, multiple guys had beards & long hair and just looked greasy... it was a strange but fun way to spend part of my Sunday evening.

As almost always, I shall return a week from today. I do have some items of things I'll be doing in the upcoming 7 days and believe it or not, I'll be turning 33 on Saturday. That makes me feel really old. There's a UFC pay per view on that night and I'll likely see that, but otherwise nothing is planned for the big day yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment