Monday, September 23, 2013

The Blog Where I Follow The Yellow Brick Road

Aside from two days I had a really dull and low-key week, but that is OK.

This past Monday, I had free time so I made the trip over to the town of Celebration and then The Loop outdoor mall in Kissimmee. Celebration is a town I've been in before but not in many months and this was actually the first time I was able to drive around all but the downtown area. If you don't know it was a master planned community done by Disney but as was the plan the entire time they quickly gave up control of it and now they run themselves. While I understand that the rules for maintaining your house there and all that are rather strigent and I understand how some could be creeped out by the idyllic design of the houses and neighborhoods, I am fine with it myself and it's cool, even for kitsch value. I drove around and I also walked around for a bit. After that I drove on over to The Loop to go into a store or two then I had dinner at BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse; yes, I still giggle at the name. The food was good and it was quite the interesting conversation I heard when the cute bartender began talking to a random guy regular about her personal life, which involved her b/f and him not taking great care of himself and her ex & child support; fascinating, really.

Tuesday and Wednesday was pretty boring, as I decided to lay low and not do much of anything. Thursday was also the same, except that I did go to Walmart and purchase a few items. My time there was dull but I tell you, even on that short journey there and back, I deal with idiots on the road! I hate having to mention it like a thousand times by now... it's just that it is true, the way people drive down here is absolutely atrocious.

Friday, that was the one real interesting day of the week for me. I ended up at Universal Studios CityWalk; that entire area was full of people as that was the first day of Halloween Horror Nights, a very popular thing... that I will never give two craps about! Sorry but that's just me. I ended up eating at the NASCAR Cafe, a place I've eaten at a few times before despite not being a NASCAR fan; it wasn't my first choice but due to crowds that's where I ended up. That is OK as they at least have good food... and drink. After I had dinner I walked to the AMC Theatres at CityWalk to check out a really old film that is out for only a week on IMAX screens and in 3D: The Wizard of Oz. Yes, I am admitting to watching this as an adult. Of course like most people I saw it as a kid more than once but my last viewing must have been many years ago. I did enjoy watching it again and if nothing else, seeing it on IMAX disproved one of the many popular rumors concerning the movie: the one where in a scene you can see a “little person” deceased in the background, hanging from a tree. It's obvious in the format that it's what most people said it was: a big black bird.

After that I went to downtown Orlando, where the action is. I went to where I always go (Ghost Bar & Lounge) and I had a good time there, despite there not being a lot for me to say; it wasn't one of those wild nights where drunk woman grind on my lap or anything of that sort. I just sat and stood around and watched sporting events on the TV and listened to some music that was LOUD. There was no acoustic acts live then the dance/rap music, but instead it was all dance/rap music. As always happens there, I saw the phenomenon of “Drunk White People Attemping to Dance” and as always, I laugh at seeing such a sight. I briefly chatted with a random lady there about something; I wish it could have been longer but oh well. It was a surprise seeing someone who used to work at Mako's way back when now working there. I had no chance to chat with her but it was still a nice surprise.

Saturday, I was feeling less than 100% so I decided to stay in and watch the UFC pay per view from home rather than go out somewhere and deal with dumb sports fans while many of the TV's are occupied with college football. Turns out, the UFC show was average all around with some decent fights but also some pretty bad ones... then the main event happened. That fight was pretty awesome and likely the fight of 2013. That saved things, for sure.

Sunday, the Chicago Bears played in the evening so I stayed in once again and I watched the Red Zone channel, where I could see highlights of all the games. As for the game I cared the most about, the Bears won 40-23 over the declining Pittsburgh Steelers. They got off to a big lead early and had to hold on and as typical, the Chicago defense really helped them out. Overall I can't really complain about the game or the season, where they are undefeated at 3-0.

As for the upcoming week, when I return a week from today I do not really know yet what I'll be writing about. I at least do have some things in mind; I probably won't be doing anything the rest of today as it's been raining all afternoon, but who knows what the next 7 days have in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment