Monday, September 9, 2013

The Blog Where I Discuss Football (Big & Small Time) And Road Rage

Here's a recap of what I've done in the past week. I did not do anything on Labor Day or that Tuesday; I kept it on the downlow. After Wednesday, maybe I should have done the same thing. I ended up going to the popular hangout for me known as Winter Garden Village. I ate at the Chipotle there and then I went to the nearby Target to get a few items. My time there was fine and it was all standard stuff. However, the drive there was a hassle. To get there you have to be on a 2 land road for most of the time. I got stuck by someone who was just driving badly. They couldn't stay in their lane and they could not decide how fast or slow they wanted to go, which I what I can't stand. When I had the chance to, I passed by that person and honked at them; it was a corpulent older woman and shock of shocks she was on her cell phone. Apparently she lost her mind at being honked at, as suddenly she wanted to go fast and she was tailgating me. I quickly got tired of that, so I stepped on the brakes. She backed off... but turned on her brights. I was nice and did not give this pig the middle finger, even though it was really deserved. For no reason, she suddenly stopped and pulled onto the grassy shoulder. I did not stop and instead I continued on, away from that mentally ill Troglodyte. Strange stuff like this has happened to me before on Florida roads; hell, I've been chased before by cretins.

Thursday and Friday were also dull days as I knew I was going to have an exciting weekend. Saturday, I did something I haven't done in years. Back in my high school days I often saw the local football team play, which was good times. So was watching the home games of the college team while I was at Illinois State University. I once saw them play against now Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo. Since moving to Florida in May of '04, though, I've only seen a few college football games live. But, I figured that this year I should change it. As of the past few years there have been several lower-level colleges that have started up their football programs. I could get into the minutiae of all the schools and which level of college football they're in but I'll spare you that as you probably aren't interested in that. Point is, on Saturday I went down to Lake Wales to watch in a high school football stadium a contest between the Webber Warriors (they're the relative old man in the scene; they've had a team since '03) and the Warner Royals, who had their first game last week against another start-up team and Warner lost. The two campuses are separated by only Crooked Lake. I had no idea what the attendance would be for what's pretty much a cross-town rivalry starting up for the first time. Turns out, it was a hot ticket but there was still plenty of room for everyone as it was a decent sized stadium.

The drive there, I had to deal with some heavy rain; at least the vehicle got a bath. It was the usual hassles on the highway with nincompoops. I went inside the Eagle Ridge Mall just north of Lake Wales. I had been in there before way back when. It's a small mall and it's alright but not many eating options. I had to go with Sbarro Pizza (for the first time in years and dessert somewhere else. The pizza tasted fine and did not cause havoc on my stomach, believe it or not. I made it to the stadium in Lake Wales. Parking was a real YOLO situation; at least there were plenty of spots as a lot of it was in grass fields. I sat on the hard metal bleachers and watched the game. It was sloppy play from both teams but it was still entertaining. I wasn't too surprise that the upstart team filled with inexperienced (at least inexperience on the college level) players ended up losing; the final score was Webber 23, Warner 0. Webber was helped out by Warner's mistakes, for sure. This ended up being the theme for the weekend but I had no idea this was the case until Sunday. At least the people I had to sit by were fine or at least tolerable. There were no loudmouthed rude idiots I had to deal with, thank the Lord. It was a nice night out so that was good.

As for the city of Lake Wales, I'd rather not deal with it too often, between the idiots who drive in the town, their refusal to mark streets as being dead ends or no outlets (it took longer than expected to get back on the highway) and other things, and while I imagine in later years I'll see more games from either school, but it doesn't mean I will always enjoy being in the area. It isn't that there are plenty of disgusting trashy people around; it's that it seems like there are too many disgusting trashy people who act like A-holes and clueless yokels. I do hope to visit some other spots to see football games this year, involving more new teams.

Sunday, I returned to the Friendly Confines sports bar/restaurant to watch the Chicago Bears play their first game of the season, against the Cincinnati Bengals. I figured it was going to be a tough test for the Bears and indeed it was. Chicago was losing but unlike most of the Bears fans there (including the random idiot who sat next to me at the bar) I did not lose faith and I figured there still was a chance Chicago would win. Partly due to some nice plays and partly due to some stupid Cincinnati mistakes, Chicago was able to win 24-21. I don't know how many Bears fans will admit it but the Bengals duo of Andy Dalton and A.J. Green have great chemistry and they made some really nice plays; I'll give them props for that. While the person to my left was dumb, at least the couple to my right were fine. There was plenty of idiotic yelling sports fans there but to be honest that's what I've come to expect from sports fans just about everywhere. At least I don't act like that, and at least the Bears ended up winning. There was some entertaining action in the other games they were showing at the same time, so I was never bored as I had lunch and dessert.

After that I made the short drive to downtown Winter Park in order to eat dinner at BurgerFi and then walk on over to RocketFizz to purchase some more obscure gourmet soda. That's what I did and the soda I had to drink on the way home... a special limited edition soda of Snooki! It was a wild cherry flavor and of course, Snooki is doing a duckface right on the damn label. I mainly got it for comedy's sake and to remind people how I have long been disgusted that The Jersey Shore show was a thing and that obviously fake garbage was actually popular and people enjoyed those awful, awful human beings. Anyhow, it actually tasted fine and it did not have the flavor of STD's and tanning lotion, so that was good.

When I return a week from today, I really don't know yet what I'll be writing about, aside from talking about watching the Bears play again. I'll eventually figure out activities to do, as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment