Monday, July 22, 2013

Sam's Club, Tesla Model S, & Soda Shaq

Monday was another dull day for me; I just stayed at home and it rained off and on for much of the day. Tuesday, things got more exciting. A few days beforehand I somehow began thinking about Sam's Club, and I realized that I hadn't been to one since the summer of '03, with my dad. Don't ask how I remember but I do. As you need to pay for a membership, the times I went there in the past it was with my parents. A few years ago I went to BJ's Wholesale, which is another buy in bulk store where you need to pay for a membership, but the parents thought the prices were better at Sam's and BJ's, so the BJ thing (yeah, I still giggle at the name) only lasted for a year. I went to Sam's on this day and it was pretty much how I remembered it. Mainly food items were purchased and it was a nice idea on my part. After that we went to a nearby Logan's Roadhouse, as it has good food, especially the free rolls that they give you while you wait for your order.

Wednesday was dull so let me mention that as of the past month or two I have seen some nice automobiles on the road and parked. That includes some Ferraris and Aston Martin's but the one I need to mention is that for the first time I've seen a Tesla Model S in person. It's a small company that started up in '03 and they put out an electric roadster convertible a few years ago based on a Lotus and I have seen more than one of them on the road, but the Model S was a first for me. Two days ago I was at the local Blockbuster (yes, some of those still exist, believe it or not) and as I was waiting to check out I looked out the windows and I saw driving by a late 80's Alfa Romeo Milano. Those weren't the most common cars even back then and Alfa hasn't mass-sold any vehicles in the U.S for like the past 20 years, although after years of rumors they're supposed to come back soon as part of Chrysler/Fiat. Speaking of Fiat, on the way to Blockbuster in a drive-way I saw for the first time a 500L, which is a bigger 4 door version of that cute vehicle on sale here the past few years. An interesting past few weeks for a dork like me, in other words.

Thursday, that was actually the day of action for me. I had free time so in the afternoon I drove to the Waterford Lakes Town Center open mall, as it's on the east side of Orlando and I rarely make it out there. First, I decided to see Pacific Rim again, this time on their IMAX screen. I've only been to that particular IMAX screen at the Regal Theaters there on one occasion before and that was a few years ago. The movie was still great and it was nice to see it again on another giant screen. I then ate at Qdoba, as I only eat at that quick service Mexican food joint when I am at Waterford Lakes. They make decent food. I then went to Barnes & Noble for a bit and then I ended my time there by going to MovieStop. There are several MovieStop locations around Orlando; it's a great place to find more obscure DVD's and Blu-Rays and also a plethora of used DVD's and Blu-Rays.

As I was driving home I stopped at a 7-11. I got the three flavors of Soda Shaq I hadn't had before. Like with the first one I had, it tastes alright enough but I woudn't say it was good or great. Friday was dull, so Saturday after a nice steak dinner at home I went to Blockbuster to get some films. Speaking of movies, it was quite the shock to me to walk into the room and see that my mom had on Spike TV... where they were showing 2010's Piranha! Besides the fact that I really don't know how you make a coherent edited TV-14 version of that movie, her watching it was something I was not expecting. She did not see all of it but what she saw, she thought “wow” and “oh man”, which is understandable with that movie. I did rent the Blu-Ray of that movie and I showed her the opening, as she loves Jaws and that opening pays homage to that movie in a great way.

Sunday, I went to the nearby Winter Garden Village (a popular hot-spot for me) and I went to the World Market, Barnes & Noble, and Planet Smoothie. From the last place I got the second of their limited edition flavors, the Tropic of Mango, with such things as orange juice and lemonade. It's pretty tasty. I drove home and a few miles away from home it started pouring rain. That was enjoyable. About a minute after I got home, the power went out and it was out for 45 minutes. In hindsight, I should have stayed out longer and even had dinner somewhere else rather than be at home where it's rainy and without A/C the house started to turn into a sweatbox.

Next week... that should be a fun week for me, mainly for the weekend where unless something pops up at the last minute I'll be doing a lot of fun things both Friday and Saturday. The rest of the week may be dull but the weekend should be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment