Monday, July 8, 2013

Australian Rules Football, Golden Corral White Trash, & Living in America

I don't have much else to say about the past week I have except that James Brown's song from Rocky IV is pretty great and that a certain UFC fighter should have used that tune as his entrance music for this past Saturday's fight. I'll ignore that James seemingly treated women like crap and had an obvious drug problem and for this instance I'll remember him appearing in Rocky IV as he played that song for Apollo Creed when he fought Ivan Drago in Las Vegas.

Now, let me talk about the past week in chronological order, as I typically do. Monday was the birthday of a parent. They decided to go to Golden Corral, and I went along. The food was about as good as you'd expect for that place. I got some laughs out of seeing my fellow customers. Some of them were old people but others were white trash. A guy there had to be between 400 and 500 pounds! His lady had to be around 3 bills too. Then there was a middle-aged guy who had a mullet and a hat that said “bomb squad”. To steal a line, he looked more like someone that makes bombs rather than diffuses them.

Tuesday, I had free time so for the first time in awhile, I decided to go to Splitsville at Downtown Disney. There isn't too much to say that I haven't said about the place before. I sat downstairs at the bar and I watched sports on TV and listened to the music that was spun by the DJ. I had my almost always of a burger and fries. Both were good. To drink I had something new, which was them combining their four frozen drinks into one concoction. Wacky, but it was good.

Wednesday, I went to Gamestop and then the nearby Target. I got a card for more Microsoft Points and I got some random items from Target. Thursday I was lame and did not go out anywhere to see any fireworks. As I've said a few times in the past, seeing fireworks on the 4th isn't the same anymore, as I used to do it with my family every year... we'd always go to a nearby town to watch them. The fact that it was rainy weather made the decision easy and I just stayed in and watched fireworks on TV.

Friday were pretty boring, except that on Friday night on Netflix Instant, I decided to watch the G-rated movie meant for toddlers known as The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure (I referenced the movie when it came out last August and I even had a blog title based on it) as it was there and also, YOLO. Turns out, the movie is pretty terrible. I know it's meant for real young kids but I wouldn't want my 6 ½ month old twin nephews ever watch it. The story sucks and so do the songs. There's some goofy things in there but it's not worth seeing unless you are drunk and/or high on drugs. Onto Saturday...

Saturday, I went to the local Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the UFC pay per view. My time there wasn't eventful except for the short amount of time when a large group of drunken people came by and at first they were drunken buffoons but then they weren't so loud and I did not mind them. I consumed some food and alcohol as I watched a show that turned to be pretty damn good, and a main event that turned out to be pretty damn memorable. I had no idea what to expect from the show so I am glad it was a success.

Sunday, I was pretty damn tired so I did not do much at all. I did watch something in full for the first time: a match of Australian Rules Football. I've seen clips of it in the past but never watched it from beginning to end. I decided to do so just on a whim and they sometimes show it on a Fox Soccer channel (along with things like rugby) to fill time. If you aren't familiar with it (and I had to read about it on Wikipedia to know the basic gist of the rules), it's like rugby crossed with soccer, with some Aussie wackiness mixed in. It's different, but pretty cool. I do know that you must be in great shape and at least a bit of a loon to play the sport; the field is massive and you wear no pads and yet hard hits happen a lot and I even saw a fight in the match. The umpire's outfit of a bright blue shirt and either grey slacks or grey shorts and bright blue knee high socks... amusing. Wackiness from Australia, a place I'd love to visit one of these years as there seem to be many pretty sights to see and there are many unusual things there, from the animals to the places to anything else.

I'll be back a week from today. I'll think of some activities to do that I can write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment