Monday, October 15, 2012

Stories of Liam Neeson & Casually Racist MMA Fans

Once again, a week that wasn't too exciting aside from some interesting evenings. Monday and Tuesday weren't really worth talking about, so let me skip ahead to Wednesday. I decided to go to a different movie theatre to catch out Taken 2. I went all the way up to Deltona to see it, as they have an Epic Theatres up there which is out in the boonies (which may explain why when I was there, hardly any vehicles were there; maybe that place has become an... epic fail!) and the reason why I went there was that they have two giant screens and the movie was shown on one of them. Before I went there I had dinner in Altamonte Springs at a Jersey Mike's sub shop; that place is fine but there are others I enjoy more. While I was there I heard discussion amongst the employees over how they recently got a counterfeit 100 dollar bill, of all things. After that I walked around the nearby Altamonte Mall for a bit then went up to Epic.

Speaking of epic fails, Taken 2... the first movie is a lot of fun and entertaining for what it is. The sequel, though, that is no fun. The story sucks and the action was filmed in a shaky-cam and way too quick editing style, so much of it is hard to make out. I almost always hate that crap. Then, there were all the preposterous situations and things that just don't make sense. Such, as the finale. What a limp resolution to the conflict with the villain. What a disappointment. At least it was nice to see it on a giant screen... although at times I almost got motion sickness from the camera shaking around so much. Also, Liam Neeson did his best with the crappy story. I won't get into the journey there and back, except that I had to deal with some real nincompoops on the highway.

Thursday and Friday, the only thing of note is that one of the afternoons I was at Target looking for something, when I stumbled across something that gave me “the feels”, to use a douchy term that has become popular this year. I found some apple cider. That reminds me of my youth from when I was a kid growing up in Belvidere, Illinois. There was (and still is) an apple orchard known as Edward's Apple Orchard. I remember going there every fall as a kid, and amongst the things they sold were cinnamon apple donuts and apple cider. Leave The Memories Alone! Anyhow, the past few years, someone I know has brought down apple cider from there for me to drink. That has an effect on my digestive system but it's oh so good! I know, an overshare of information...

The excitement was on Saturday night. There was a UFC pay per view. It was from Brazil. I did not see the Facebook fights but I watched the prelims and then the pay per view at good old Friendly Confines. After that big blow-up I had over the local Buffalo Wild Wings last month, it'll be some time before I return there. As there's no Bears game this week, I figured it only made sense to make the drive there. It's a sports bar during a busy day and night (plenty of college football along with a big baseball game) so I was expecting some idiotic boorish behavior there and I was not let down. Not to stereotype (as I never do such a thing...) but the most obnoxious loudmouth fans there were supporters of the Florida Gators and the New York Yankees; that is no shock to me at all. There were also drunken buffoons around and I tried my best to ignore them, but a few times I did flash some dirty looks when I absolutely had to. Yep, I'm still not a real people person. Anyhow, there were at least some decent people around, from cheerleaders that looked to be around 13 or 14 years old, to a dwarf, to some nice-looking ladies, to people that looked like Jean-Claude Van Damme and Stana Katic. A wacky night, as you can see. Unfortunately...

It was clear that there were some racists present, or at the very least bigots. Now, I am not a fan of Anderson Silva (the main eventer, and remember, a Brazilian guy who was fighting in a pay per view that was taking place in Rio, Brazil) despite his great skills and how he's one of the best MMA fighters of all time. It's definitely not because he's not white. Rather, it's his attitude and how in some fights in the past, he treated things like a farce when he shouldn't have. That's the main reason. So, the main event was him vs. a white guy who is a veteran but wasn't close to being in Silva's league. Things went how most people expected and the racists there were PISSED, yelling about how when the fight was stopped it was BS (despite it not being the case at all. The white guy was hurt pretty bad) then when he was interviewed after the fight he of course spoke in his native Portugeuse, as it only made sense to. The racists then yelled, “Speak f*cking English!” Lovely. That's not even getting into the big debate over if you live in the United States you must speak English or any of that thorny topic I will not touch with a 39 foot pole. Rather, it's the idiocy of getting mad at a Brazilian for speaking his native language when the show is IN Brazil. What a bunch of dumbshits those guys were, and not just for their bigotry. From what I heard on Twitter, racists getting mad at Anderson Silva did not just happen at Friendly Confines, but likely at many sports bars across the country. Sigh...

My Sunday was boring; I just stayed in and watched some NFL action. So, I'll mention now that when I post my next blog a week from today, I won't be talking about the Bears again (as their next game isn't until Monday night the 22nd) but I still have an idea or two in my head in terms of things to do which will at least give me something to write about and will be different from the 2012 norm for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment