Monday, September 3, 2012

The Oogieloves (and Blair Russell) In The BIG Balloon Adventure

I could not help but go with such a wacky title today; if you don't know, that Oogieloves film is a G-rated thing from some of the people who brought Teletubbies to America. It was released this past Friday to over 2,000 screens... and it was announced today that it's made less than 500,000 dollars! Broken down, that's only a few people per screening. That is literally the worst all-time for a movie released that wide. No surprise it did so poorly; if you've seen advertising for it, the title creatures are people in bizarre scary-looking costumes and the whole thing looks like a bad drug trip. And yet the movie features some famous faces, like Toni Braxton, Christopher Lloyd, and even Cary Elwes. One of these days I should watch it just to laugh at the atrociousness.

I should also mention that today is interesting in terms of famous songs. If you're familiar with the classic 70's song by Temptations known as Papa Was A Rollin' Stone, then you'll know that the first line states that “the third of September” is when the titular Papa dies, then the rest of the tune talks about how much of a lout he was.

Here's what I have done since this past Monday. On that night, I watched the latest episode of Perception. It was the usual from that show... meaning that I enjoyed it, and not just for the female lead. They almost always have at least one guest star of note, and this time it was both Edward Furlong AND Tom Sizemore; both guys are known for being on the drugs. Apparently Tom is off of it currently but that really ruined his career and that's a huge shame as if he wasn't hooked on the hard stuff for years, then his talent would have made him a bigger star. Given that a few days before the episode aired he got robbed of his wallet while in L.A.'s Skid Row as he “asked for directions” and it got stolen, I'll presume he's still hooked; he does not look the same as he did in Terminator 2. He looks older than he actually is and is bloated. There's another shame.

Tuesday was pretty dull so let me skip ahead to Wednesday. In the evening I went to the local theatre in Clermont (Epic Theatres, to be exact; usually that place isn't too busy, unfortunately for them) to check out the film Lawless. I hadn't even heard of it until a few weeks prior when it was heavily advertised on a UFC pay per view. I checked it out and knowing that I should have lowered expectations due to some of the reviews I came across, I managed to enjoy it. When it got bloody, it was real bloody. After I gave it its props online I came across some real negative reviews and that made me feel like a dope; I'm still sticking with my opinion.

Thursday, I ended up going to JC Penny's to pick up some pajama wear, to be honest. Let me skip ahead to Friday then, where I actually ended up doing something. In the evening I went to the Winter Garden Village area. I first went to World Market. I suppose it could be called a hipster place; of course there's no definitive definition of what a hipster even is and what a typical person who is in that category happens to enjoy. I just go by the stereotypes, which is always fine by me. As I've said before, some of the things they do is fine; others, though... anyhow, when I do go there I enjoy picking up food items and the gourmet sodas/beers they get from across the country and in terms of alcohol all across the world. This time I got a six pack of random single bottles of soda they had there, then a 10 pack of 5 different pairs of root beers. But don't call me a hipster! After that I went to the nearby Planet Smoothie to pick up a beverage. I know, what an exciting life I usually lead.

Saturday, I actually ended up going out and about. I did not have the best night's sleep and yet I wasn't able to take a nap. I paid attention to the college football as the season just started. There was nothing else to do so that's what I did... I doubt I'll pay too much attention after this day as in the past year I've griped about how college football has been ruined due to how there's been massive changes due to pure greed, corruption, drama, and then the whole Penn State thing... a MAJOR turn-off. Then again I'm not happy with pro football either as at this time they still have replacement refs as the usual ones are on strike and the NFL is being A-holes about it so even though the replacement refs are terrible they're still going with them for the start of the regular season... another thing for me to be turned off by.

Anyhow, in the evening I ended up at Universal Studios. I had found out the night before that their movie theatre (a place I hadn't gone to in a long while; several times I've had real problems with the crowd there) was showing The Blues Brothers, a flick I hadn't seen in many years. I arrived there, and possibly saw someone I knew walking to the parking lot. But, I wasn't sure if it was them and besides, the way I was feeling at the time, I was not at 100% at all. Despite this, I not only went out and saw that long-ass film, but I got a colorful alcoholic beverage from the bar they have at that AMC. It was one of a few Blues Brothers-themed drinks; what I got was cake-flavored vodka (yes), blueberry schnapps, and Sprite. Not very manly, I realize, but it was really darn good. As for the screening, I would have preferred it if it wasn't obviously a DVD projection (and that DVD print isn't so good to begin with) and the sound would have come from more than the front speakers; still, it was nice to watch that wacky film again and the small crowd there was at least into the movie and obviously were big fans going into it.

Sunday was a pretty boring day so let me mention one last thing to close this out: me talking about Florida drivers! I know, I always do it but this time let me mention a pair of stereotypes. If you see someone with stick figures on their back window telling you how many people are in their family, expect them to not be so good on the highway. I don't know about anywhere else but in The Sunshine State those stickers are popular. But of course. I had a problem with one of those people on the highway Saturday night. Also, Lincoln Navigator and especially Cadillac Escalade drivers will usually be awful on the road. I can't tell you the number of times that has happened to me throughout the years.

On this holiday I am also going to be boring. Thankfully, when I post my next blog a week from today I know I'll at least have the start of the NFL season to talk about, and I'll mention if the usual NFL-watching experience at the old Friendly Confines is the same... I'm betting it is. Also, Raiders of the Lost Ark is coming out this Friday for a week engagement at IMAX joints; I for sure will be checking that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment