Monday, September 10, 2012

Football Discussion, Killer Klowns From Outer Space, & Rock Lobster (Ooh-Ah)

Here's a recap of what I've done since Labor Day. I kept it real on LD; I was pretty boring and had a burger and fries for dinner, both home made but it's still what I'll call my “almost always” when I'm out at restaurants. As always since July, I watched the latest episode of Perception. This time the episode seemed even wackier than usual. It involved a girl's neck getting broken on a college campus and somehow secret experiments being done on that campus to create a pill that gives an adrenaline boost that will be used on soldiers but of course it goes wrong... yes, that somehow tied into the episode. Pretty ridiculous... but awesome too.

Tuesday, the only thing I did was go to a Target that I had only been to once before. I wanted to do something different. I walked around and only picked up a few random items. The drive on the way there and on the way back was even more stressful than expected, so in the future I'll be going to the Target's I usually frequent, which are closer to me. Wednesday was boring and Thursday the only thing I did was go to Walmart, but what a bevy of shirts I saw there. I don't mean on sale; I mean, the shirts that I saw people wearing.

One dad was there with his toddler daughter and I do question his wisdom of wearing a t-shirt that was advertising a bar in Sint Maarten (I'm using that spelling, one of seemingly 100, to describe the area of the island of Saint Martin that is controlled by The Netherlands). The bar's name? The Blue Bitch Bar! No kidding. Sure, I've seen much worse in public places (including Walmart) but still... then, I saw a lady in her 40's who looked like a typical Walmart customer but she had on a tremendous black shirt. It was a Killer Klowns From Outer Space shirt! I have seen that wacky 80's cult comedy/horror in the past, but it's been years. The logo on the front closely resembled the orignal DVD cover; that was quite the great and unexpected sight.

Friday, that's when things picked up. I ended up going earlier than expected (long story) but I decided to travel on down to Lakeland and the movie theatre they have down there with an IMAX screen in order to watch the one week re-release of Raiders of the Lost Ark. I've seen the movie on VHS, DVD, and even on the big screen a few years ago when the AMC Theatres at Universal was showing it for a few days. But watching it in IMAX was pretty grand. The crowd was small; seeing it with a big audience may have made it even better. After that I ate at a nearby quick service restaurant known as Burger 21. I know it originally started out in Tampa and now it's in Lakeland and soon it'll be in Orlando. They offer up a good burger and fries and their chocolate malted milk balls milkshake was fantastic. I ended up eating outside in their patio area; sure, they had fans going but I only went out there as it meant not being by a certain customer. When I got in the restaurant I had to wait in line to order and I was right behind a loathsome creature; it was a young girl in high school who apparently is a cheerleader. She was talking to her poor boyfriend and not only was she LOUD for no reason at all, what she was saying and how she talked... she sounded like the most inane 8 year old you could ever come across. I was thanking all the possible Gods in heaven when she finally shut her yapper; I wasn't going to take the chance that she would start blathering away again while I was trying to eat dinner, so that's why I ate outside. They played random music over the loudspeakers and it shouldn't be a shock that I preferred the older songs they whipped out, such as Sussudio and other 80's ditties.

As for the drive there and back home... I ended up getting pretty mad. When you have people pulling out in front of you more than once and everytime it happened a wreck nearly happened... I am not going to be a happy camper. I don't even want to talk about some of the traffic I had to deal with.

Saturday I stayed in and relaxed. I also caught up on sleep. So, let me skip ahead to Sunday and the start of the NFL season. Even though I still think it's extraordinarily stupid the league is still using replacement refs instead of paying the regular refs to get their asses back on the field, I went to good old Friendly Confines to watch the Bears play against the Indianapolis Colts, have some food there, and check out the other games going on when I could. The Bears ended up winning 41-21. The Colts used to have a star QB who got hurt and couldn't play last year and a former quality team TOTALLY went down the toilet. I mean, much more so than they should have just from that one injury. That QB is now gone and they have a rookie starting as quarterback so I expected Chicago to win. The game started out horribly for the Bears but after that blip they played much better. I was amazed to see an actual effective Chicago offense as I'm used to them being... well, offensive. It was nice watching that and having their good food. If only it wasn't for the meatheads there... and in what isn't a surprise to me, some of those meatheads weren't that far away from where I was sitting at. Having to listen to them yell and be drama queens over their football team... that has never been my thing. I was happy to get away from them.

However, I was happy that the gravelly-voiced guy known as TUGBOAT was there. Remember, he was the gruff-voiced middle-aged guy who I say looks like former pro wrestler Arn Anderson and I had seen him there before. He and some of his pals were rather wacky; for example, I could not tell you why they opened a sugar packet, poured it onto the bar, then formed some lines to make it look like lines of coke, or why one of them fake snorted it up with a giant straw. But it did make me laugh, along with their love for the shot known as Rock Lobster, presumably named after The B-52's song. I found out later it is Crown Royal, raspberry schnapps, and cranberry juice. Apparently it is nectar from the Gods, at least according to those dudes. Early on they were talking about how great it is, then later when it was announced that for the next 15 minutes there would be 2 for 1 Rock Lobster shots, they lost their shit. I couldn't believe how crazy they became for a random shot. Oh yes I did laugh.

When I post my next blog a week from today, I know I'll be talking about a Thursday night (that's right, not Sunday) game between the Bears and Packers; I'll have to go out and about to watch it as I still don't get the NFL Network where I live and it seems like I never will. I'll also be doing a few other things including a likely trip to see a long movie marathon on the big screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment