Monday, September 24, 2012

Ninja Rap, iOS6, & Running Like A Scalded Ape

I do apologize for that angry rant I posted yesterday morning. I was pretty upset at various members of humanity and I had to share my feelings. I did feel more like myself Sunday afternoon and today I am feeling fine. Now, I was looking at something online in the past week and a person used the phrase “runs like a scalded ape”; I laughed so hard I had to use it here.

Monday the only thing I ended up doing was going to the local World Market to look and see what they had and I mainly got some snacks from Australia... mate. Aussie-style licorice is pretty tremendous if you've never had it before. Of course, in the evening I watched the final episode of Perception, at least until it returns in 2013, presumably in the summer. I will miss that wacky and goofy and yet entertaining at the same time show.

Tuesday was uneventful so let me skip ahead to Wednesday. I went out and about in the evening. It wasn't until the night before that I figured out what I was going to do. I saw an advertisement for a restaurant known as Brick House Tavern & Tap; I clicked on it and turns out they have a handful of locations Texas and to the east. I wondered if it was going to be a hipster/douche kind of joint; after all they had something known as “man cave sauce” and one of their items is “the gun show burger”. Still, I wanted to check it out. They even offered up something they called a beer bong! No, its not the funnel and tube like you'd find at a standard college kegger on a Saturday night (or a certain nightclub in downtown Orlando...). Rather, it's a big glass tube with a wooden base and a tap on the side. Interesting, for sure.

It turns out, the place is really nice, from the layout to the brick theme (and there's even a fireplace) and big soft chairs, even at the bar. One of the unique food items they offered was chicken & waffles; as I've never gone to Roscoe's in Los Angeles to have their chicken & waffles, I figured I should have it here. It was really good! I sat at the bar and as it was only a buck at the time, I had a can of... Pabst Blue Ribbon, and in a small brown paper bag! That doesn't exactly dispel the idea that it at least is partially a place for hipsters, but even with that I still think the place is real cool so I highly recommend it. While I wish it wasn't on the pain in the ass road known as International Drive, that's where it is, just south of the Joe's Crab Shack they have there. Oh, and the bartender I had was appropriately built like a brick house! No kidding. After that I went to the nearby Pinkberry as it's been too long. I had their limited edition chocolate hazelnut flavor and that was pretty good.

Also during the day, in the afternoon I installed iOS6 onto my iPod Touch. Lord did that take a long time. At one point I thought it froze up, which did not make me happy. Thankfully, after an hour and a half it finally installed. Mostly I am “meh” to it as it doesn't really affect anything for me and it's largely the same as it was before. Still, in the evening I assisted someone I know in installing that on their iPod Touch.

Thursday, the only thing I did was go to a grocery store to get some items. That was it. Although, while responding to someone I know on Twitter about a pyramid-shaped building in Memphis, it reminded me of how I and some people I know went there for Spring Break in 2003 back during my college days. That was during a rather bad time in my life; I'd rather not go into details as to why it was bad for me, except that I was unhappy and feeling depressed most of the time for a variety of reasons. Not everything with the trip went right but it was cool to visit Graceland, some of their museums, and eat a peanut butter and banana sandwich in a restaurant. Oh, and I know I've talked about this a long time ago, but for 9 bucks a piece me and the gang went to a giant pyramid-shaped building to watch the Memphis Grizzlies beat the crap out of the Chicago Bulls. This was back when the Bulls were a pretty terrible team. It was cool to visit such a unique building but it was better in design than as an actual arena, so that's why it was quickly abandoned and a normal arena, the FedExForum, was built on Beale Street; I remember passing by it being constructed. I wish there would have been a Pyramid II but alas... of course as Memphis was named after an Egyptian city, that's why someone thought to build one in Tennessee. Now that arena is being converted to a... Bass Pro Shops store! But of course...

The excitement stated with Friday. The afternoon was dull but the nighttime was the right time for me, as it usually is. I went and saw Dredd 3D on the big screen. It was released elsewhere before coming to America, so I've heard a lot of strong praise for it and it blows the goofy mid 90's movie Judge Dredd out of the water. I saw the Sly vehicle a few days ago and yeah, still not a great film. Dredd 3D, though... pretty awesome. I am surprised by the general mixed reaction, especially from the action fans who I thought would have ate the film up. I thought it was a blast. It's simple yet effective and there's plenty of bloody action; that made me happy. After that I went to Mako's and wow, what an uneventful night aside from the usual wackiness. It just wasn't busy there at all for the most part. I know that early in the evening it was rainy but after that the weather was fine. I was befuddled at how dead it was. At least there was one thing to write about: early on when there was only a few customers in there besides me, they played a rather interesting song and a male employee danced to it on the bar; that tune? An infamous song from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze. Yes, Vanilla Ice's Ninja Rap! I thought that was hilarious. Yes, I did see the movie on the big screen as a 10 year old. Hey, at the time I was a huge Turtles fan, as many around my age were.

Saturday... I already talked about that evening; I did watch the pay per view via less than ethical means. From the preliminary fights to the pay per view... I didn't see every fight but I did watch most of them and overall it was a good show. I did drink some alcoholic beverages while viewing the show and that did make me feel better. Sunday, I went to good old Friendly Confines to watch the Bears play against a rather lousy team, the St. Louis Rams. The game was rather lousy too, for the most part. Not all that exciting. But thankfully the Rams made some really stupid mistakes that helped out Chicago and partly due to that, the Bears won 23-6. Sunday was a fine day; sure, on the way there and on the way back the traffic was its usual poor selves and I saw some dipshit weave in and out of traffic on a city street as if he was Lewis Hamilton (or to use a more American example, Dale Earnhardt, Jr.) and he did so in a Hyundai Accent, and I also got tailgated by some assclown, but sad to say that sort of behavior does not really surprise me when I drive in Florida so I was appalled but I did not get angry about it.

As for the upcoming week, I am not expecting it to be too exciting. The Bears don't play again until Monday night October 1st so I can't write about that experience in the next blog. I'll try to do some things that are halfway worth talking about, at least. Hopefully I won't blow my top again and have to deal with some poor excuses for human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment