Monday, April 16, 2012

The Raid: Redemption, A Female Skrillex, & Ghost Peppers

Here's what I've done in the past week, and much of the action took place from Friday through Sunday. Monday through Thursday were rather dull. Sure, one day I went to Walmart to pick up a few items and another day had me doing laundry, but otherwise I decided to lay low. Mainly that was because I knew I would have quite the Friday and Saturday.

Friday, I went to Epic Theatres to see a double-bill that I came up with. First, I saw Lockout, which basically tries REALLY hard to be like a Snake Plissken film. You know, the always cool Escape From New York and the not so cool Escape From L.A. Well, I'd rather watch L.A again rather than this film, as it's just not so good aside from some fine-enough moments. It's just a nothing of a film where not too much interesting ever happens. It's edited in a way to make it PG-13; pretty much the rest of the world got the more explicit version but not America, for some reason. Instead, this French-made film was edited into incoherency ruining what little action you do see. The one-liners were mostly lame, the opening 5 minutes had some PS1-level CGI, one villain I could barely understand due to his thick accent... need I say more? Actually, I will. The ending wasn't good as it was done so poorly at one point I was confused as to what in the heck was going on; not a good thing during the climax. Really, you should just watch Escape From New York again.

After that I saw something I have heard a LOT of hype for the past few months. It's an Indonesian martial arts/action filmed called The Raid: Redemption, made by a Welshman married to an Indonesian woman. Me, it seems like I usually get turned off to something hyped that heavily. However, this time the hype was worth it. If you love movies in those two genres then it is a MUST-see. There's a lot of action and it's all done very well. It's a type of martial art you really haven't seen on the big screen before and it's a joy to watch. Many people end up getting hurt/killed pretty badly in this movie... yeah! I unfortunately saw it with only one other person; thankfully I found out the next day what the film is like with an actual crowd.

The rest of Friday was dull so let me skip ahead to Saturday. The afternoon was watching on Facebook and Fuel TV the UFC event from Sweden. It was pretty good. Now, onto the evening. Oh what an evening I had. I parked in downtown Orlando but no I did not go to you know where first. Instead I went to the downtown cinema now known as Cobb Plaza Cinema Cafe 12. There I saw The Raid: Redemption again and this time there were about 10 other dudes there. That was enough for me; those guys did not know what they were in for, so they often marked out for all the cool stuff in the film. That made it a great time.

After that I went to my car and changed shirts before I returned to the magical location known as Mako's; I'll mention a few random things before I get to that. In terms of spam e-mail they haven't been too interesting... except for last night, when I got one about ghost peppers and it was just rambling about what is technically known as the Bhut Jolikia chili pepper; why, I have no good explanation for getting an e-mail talking about one of the world's hottest peppers. Anyhow, in terms of vehicles I've seen some all-electric Nissan Leafs (or Leaves, I guess) on the road but it wasn't until Saturday night when I was walking around downtown Orlando that I saw the electric/gas vehicle known as the Chevy Volt, and I saw two different Volts.

Anyway, here's what happened to me at Mako's. It was largely the usual there; you know, attractive women all around, loud music, dancing, wacky games and all that. But, some things out of the ordinary took place and this was one of the wildest nights I had there in quite awhile.

* This happened early in the night. I was minding my business, standing by the bar they have in the front of the place, half-watching those activities and half watching the random NBA game they had on. Suddenly, some white trash-looking guy who looked like a druggie and the type of person who aspires to work at a Chevron gas station (I don't want to stereotype, but...) suddenly started staring at me and got in my face! I have no clue why, except that he must have not liked my face; either that, or he wanted to kiss me! I tried walking away but then he followed me and did the same thing; I asked him what his problem was before fastly moving towards the front to find someone like a security guard. Even better, a fine man who usually MC's the action there and I think has worked there the entire time I started going there once in awhile (i.e. 2007) saw this and got a security guard to kick him out. Heh heh heh; I did thank him and that was a very nice gesture on his part.

* But of course I have a feeling that some people will read that and still say that in cases of bullying, it's the fault of the victim rather than the bully. And remember now, it's some people I know online who would unfortunately say this.

* It's usually a popular spot for bachelor and bachelorette parties, for obvious reasons. There were several different bachelorette groups there at the same time. One of them had on t-shirts that listed several activities that they had to do. One of them was “Have a random guy write his phone number on the bride's shirt”. That guy was me! I did give a legit phone number; it's not like I'll ever get a call so I might as well.

* If you've ever seen the dubstep king known as Skrillex, he has a bizarre hair style where the left side of his head is shaved; not the top of the head, just the side. Imagine my surprise seeing a girl there sporting that same hair style. I have no idea why you'd do such a thing but maybe that's just me.

* I ended up meeting up with some random dudes there. One I never got his name but he was a big drunk spender and without any provocation he decided to buy me some free booze (i.e. shots!) and even paid to have one of the females working there give me a bodyshot, which is where she basically shakes her T&A right in front of me and then I take a shot that is nestled in her bosom; it's fun! Soon after that I did another bodyshot, this time paid by me and I did that as the nice young lady (who I've gotten to know the past few times I've been there) wanted me to do one with her, so I did.

* There's a second guy, I'll refer to him as A. I briefly chatted with him. He was hanging out with some random people, including a woman who I rank rather highly on the attractiveness scale. I was only able to briefly chat with her. I wish I could have had a longer conversation with her... although I was quite disappointed when I saw her pull out a cigarette and started smoking it. Son of a... smoking is a big turn-off for me in general, and I get grossed out when I see a member of the opposite sex do it; a girl smelling like an ashtray, no thanx!

So yeah it was quite the night there. It shouldn't be too long before I return there.

Sunday nothing happened; however I will mention one quick thing. As I've mentioned before, I have a sister who lives in Kansas with her husband. If you've been watching the news the past few days, they had a lot of tornadoes in the area. Also, my parents were there at the time! Thankfully there were no tornadoes where they were; it was windy but that was it. That was a big relief as needless to say there was panic as soon as I heard there could be horrid weather where they were.

I'll be back a week from today and there's a few things I know I'll be doing. I'll be spending some time in Tampa on Friday before I head on over to St. Petersburg to pick up someone from the airport, then Saturday I'll be at Buffalo Wild Wings to watch a UFC pay per view that at least has a pretty big and interesting main event.

No comments:

Post a Comment