Monday, January 2, 2012

Fireworks, Goodyear Blimps, & Red Solo Cups

My apologies for this being posted a few hours late. It's just that I was preoccupied with-among other things-watching the college football games today.

That's right, the first blog of 2012 will have me explain a reference to a country song from last year. Awhile back I heard that Toby Keith had a song out called Red Solo Cup, referencing the plastic cups that you use during house parties (yeah, I've drank who knows how many gallons of alcohol from plastic cups during my college days alone). Saturday I finally heard the song and saw the uncensored video online (which features things such as someone using a cup as a bowl to smoke pot!) and wow. If Toby was serious with that talking-singing song, then that doesn't dispel any of the stereotypes concerning modern country music. At least the song makes me laugh, even if I'm laughing at it.

Anyhow, here's how I spent the end of 2011. Monday was dull so Tuesday I went out and about for a bit. That was stressful and didn't go quite as planned. Plus, I had to be around crowds of people and I'm not always a fan of that. I'll rather not go into the shitty parts of the day and instead get to the one interesting thing, which is that someone I know wanted me to get them a wireless router and a cheap laptop, so that's what I did at Wal-Mart. I know, but they were the only place that still had laptops available which met their demands. I got them an Acer and I got both set up for them. The router was easy to set up and so was the laptop, although the latter took time as you have to do Windows updates and that seems to take forever and a day, and then I have to download and install some things that they need, like anti-virus programs and what have you. At least the day ended in a not so awful manner.

Wednesday was nothing-happening and Thursday I was out and about for a bit and still I haven't used any of my giftcards nor Christmas cash quite yet. There's an item or two I have my eye on and yet I haven't found it in the exact form I want so thus I haven't pulled the trigger quite yet. However, at Target I did find for 10 dollars a bitchin' shirt that had an old Shelby logo on it. You know, the car modifier that did and does special versions of Mustangs. The logo has a big cobra on it and it just looks cool.

That is the shirt I wore Friday night when I went to see the latest UFC pay per view. I went to Buffalo Wild Wings, as usual. This time, it was jam-packed with people there. Given that Brock Lesnar was making his return to the cage after an absence of over a year, I figured it'd be busy but man alive was it slammed with people. The show was about what I expected; however, the guys who won the two main fights I wasn't happy about as I did not want either to win. The guy who kicked Brock Lesnar's ass, Alistair Overeem, he pretty much was successful in skirting a drug test by playing dumb, and I think that's a load of crap, given there's been understandable rumors in the past about him roiding up. And now he's likely going to fight Heavyweight Champion Junior Dos Santos later in '12. That puts a bee in my bonnet, even though I think JDS will kick his ass.

So while there were some moments of the show I really did enjoy, my dominant memories won't be good ones. Oh, there was the strange thing of during the main event when Overeem walked to cageside, someone set off fireworks in the grass area behind the parking lot! No kidding. That lasted for about a minute.

As I got my drink on while at Buffalo Wild Wings (I had some Pabst Blue Ribbon as hey, it was cheap) on the 30th, I decided to stay at home and not even drink during New Years Eve. The only intriguing thing I did was at night when I drove around the neighborhood looking at Christmas lights; that's something I've done for the past few years now.

Yesterday, I went to good old Friendly Confines to watch the last Chicago Bears game of the season, against the lowly Minnesota Vikings. Maybe I shouldn't say they're awful given that the Bears only defeated them by a few points and it was competitive the entire time. There weren't too many Chicago fans around and it wasn't as busy there in general as it usually is on an NFL Sunday. But at least the team won for the first time in ages so that made me happy as I walked out of there. Of course I was also happy to walk out of there as it meant not having to deal with some loudmouths and even some loud young boys who acted like typical young boys and THUS. SHOUTED. ALL. THE. TIME. That's one good reason right there for me never to procreate. Kids just aren't my thing in general, as bad as that may sound to some.

On the way back, I passed by the Orlando Executive Airport and what did I see on the ground but the Goodyear Blimp. That's not something you see every day. It's here as today there was a big college football game in Orlando.

Today, I just stayed at home and relaxed. My next blog should be up at its more usual time on Monday the 9th. Not a lot is on the agenda for the upcoming week. I'll be experiencing some cold weather, I do know that. But I shouldn't be one of those whiners about the conditions in Florida. As always, I'll randomly get into some moderately interesting tasks to provide me material to write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment