Monday, January 16, 2012

The Blog Where I Suggest That Most Modern Music Is Diarrhea-Awful

Alright, so here's what I've done since the last blog. Monday night, I watched the big college football game, the last one of the season, the one for all the marbles. It was actually a rematch of a game played a few months ago, and that battle was pretty poor. It was low-scoring and it was more due to terrible offenses than great defenses. The rematch ended up being even worse! At least the first game was competitive; the second one wasn't even that. One team's offense was disgracefully bad. The way I got entertainment from it was not from consuming alcohol (in hindsight I wish I would have) but rather watching the game on mute, laughing at random people on Twitter bashing the battle on the gridiron, and listening to random songs on Spotify. That was good fun.

Tuesday night, I was at the closest Best Buy and I finally spent some Christmas cash and used the Best Buy gift card I got on a portable Blu-Ray player. The portable DVD player I had (which I got from a relative as they didn't need it any longer; it was pretty old) crapped out so I figured I would get modern and get that device. It'll make it easier for me to watch Blu-Rays, that's for damn sure.

Wednesday through Friday were dull, so let me skip ahead to the weekend. Saturday I went to the east side of Chicago... er, I mean Orlando (if you know which song I just referenced there, kudos to you) to go to a MovieStop I've been at more than once before. They have quite the variety of old DVD's and Blu-Rays there, along with some new stuff too. I turned in some old DVD's and while I didn't get as much as I thought I would I still am glad I got rid of them. After that I went to Friendly Confines in Winter Park in order to watch the big game between the Denver Tebows and the New England Patriots, which was a rematch from earlier in the season. Going on at the same time was the prelims and then the pay per view for the latest UFC event. Now you can watch just about all of the fights for a UFC show on TV, unless it's a FuelTV show.

Sure, I could have gone to a wrestling show and then watch UFC in the area, but a few things in the local scene as of late have turned me off; of course, they all involve that 10 pound pile of monkey crap in a 5 pound bag known as Jared David St. Laurent. I'll just mention one thing: if you say you're mad at someone to the point that you want to “legit” fight them, why are you pals with them on Facebook? That just sounds a little odd to me.

Anyhow, the UFC pay per view-while guaranteed to do a horrible buyrate for several reasons, including the fact that it was held in Rio-was pretty great. Many exciting fights and most of them ending decisively, it's a show worth seeing if you're an MMA fan. Plus, it's a typical rowdy Brazilian crowd and I'm catching up on watching all the fights again online or on tape (yeah yeah, I know) just to listen to the audience going crazy for everything. As for the game, it proved to be a total mismatch this time; the Broncos weren't ready for prime time and got squashed 45-10. Speaking of not ready for prime time...

I think it was sometime on Friday I heard of some singer lady named Lana Del Rey. It was appropriate as she appeared on Saturday Night Live (a dead dinosaur of a show that's been the drizzling shits for many years now, I say) and when I logged onto Twitter late Saturday night I saw many people bitching about her bad performance on the show. So, I actually watched one of the songs she performed and yeah, she's not the lady that'll get me interested in modern music, that's for sure. To be honest, modern music has usually bored me and I've preferred the older stuff. Even now I can find songs and artists from back in the day and I can be greatly entertained by exploring their back catalogue. About 5 years ago or so I completely given up on Top 40 manufactured BS, so at least I've been lucky in missing out on hearing all but snippets from such “great” singers as the Black Eyed Peas, Rihanna, and Katy Perry. Christ, those songs are terrible! And I'm just basing that on said snippets I've heard. I just might pour hot wax into my ears if I had to hear all 4 minutes plus of such “classics” as Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.) or heaven forbid, any tune from Ke$ha. At least the artists of yesteryear had actual GOOD singing voices... and to think that one artist who has some songs that I can tolerate listening to is Lady Gaga, and she has such a repugnant persona that I feel awful for even liking some of her songs!

Oh wait, what was I saying... oh yeah, much modern music today (aside from dance stuff) is pretty poor and it seems like many people can't even sing these days without electronic aids and when they have to sing live without said aids (such as Taylor Swift or that lead girl from Florence & The Machine) it's an epic fail, and Lana Del Rey is just another one of those manufactured persons who I'll be happy to ignore in the future. And yes I've seen one of her music videos with her studio voice, and I still don't care for her. No offense to anyone I know who likes her songs.

But back to Saturday night... it was a good time there, consuming some alcoholic beverages and watching both sporting events. In fact, on Sunday I returned there to watch the Giants play the Packers. I expected Green Bay to win as from watching them play this season I thought they were the best team. However, for whatever reasons the Packers played really poorly, making a whole slew of mistakes and New York just played a lot better, and that's how they pulled off the upset. As a Bears fans, I wasn't too sad to see Green Bay lose. As expected, there were some knuckleheads there watching the game, but I tried to ignore them. If only I didn't have to sit close by a couple who not only would talk about inanity almost non-stop, but when they weren't flapping their gums they were engaging in some PDA. I could have done without that. Get a room, I say! I don't know when I'll be back on the east side of Orlando. It may be some time. At least it will help in me dealing with less idiotic traffic, which I experienced several times during the weekend.

I'll be back next Monday. Not too much is planned, although I do know that I'll be going out at least one night for dinner with a friend of the family so that'll provide me something to write about, if nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment