Monday, October 10, 2011

Toshiro Mifune, Drunken Clams, & Epic Rainstorms

While my week did not feature any Chicago Bears action (they’re playing tonight, and I’ll be watching that from the comforts of home) it did feature something interesting which proved to be a lot of fun.

Monday and Tuesday were rather uneventful so I’ll skip past them in order to get to what I ended up doing on Wednesday and Thursday. The whole gang left early on Wednesday (a little too early for me but it wasn’t my decision) in order to go to Satellite Beach, a small town on the highway known as A1A-as name-dropped by that master wordsmith known as Vanilla Ice-which is a few miles south of Cocoa Beach, home of The Model Rick Martel.

The pal of one of my pals (but I’m not pals with them; confused?) was renting a condo but they couldn’t go due to circumstances beyond their control so they asked people they knew if they could stay in there and our turn came up for Wednesday and Thursday. It was right on the beach and it was nice. A lot of room and space and the expected amenities such as a fridge, microwave, oven, and all that. There was also a large balcony and indeed, time was spent on there as the windy conditions of Wednesday and Thursday meant you got to experience a great breeze right from the Atlantic. Pretty groovy. It was nice to relax in the room, but there was also going out…

OK, so it wasn’t club-hopping or anything, but I still went out. Wednesday evening we went randomly searching for a nearby restaurant. Satellite Beach must be hurting for business as on A1A there was hardly any sort of businesses and some restaurants were recently closed. It took going to nearby Indiatlantic to find a spot, and because it was the first decent-looking place we found, we stopped at a place with a silly name… Bunky’s Seafood Grille. To show you the type of place it is, the logo is a clam that looks to be hammered; that’s not necessarily a bad thing. The place looked decent-enough and the service was fine. However, everyone thought that the food was just average. Me, I had my almost-always of a burger and fries (hey, I don’t eat too much in the way of seafood) and the burger had a rather unique taste to it, although at least the fries were good.

Thursday I was out on my own before we left in the afternoon. I drove up to Cocoa Beach as I hadn’t been there in awhile. It’s largely the same as it’s always been. I went in RonJon and the next door Cocoa Beach Surf Company to look around, as I’ve done every time I’ve been in Cocoa Beach. This time I actually bought stuff from both. I did the tourist thing and got a RonJon shirt. I also got PJ pants and a real cheap shirt from the Surf Company. Good deals, I say. As for the beach we were on, it wasn’t exactly Daytona or Cocoa. A lot of shells on the beach, the sand a weird color, a lot of seaweed… yet it was still nice to walk on said sand and go a little bit into the ocean. Not too much, mind you, as the waves were pretty strong due to the wind. Overall, though, I enjoyed that short trip to the Atlantic coast. It was nice as something out of the ordinary.

Friday through Sunday… it was mainly a LOT of rain. I mean, pretty unusual given it’s Florida to receive that much rain and it not be due to a hurricane. The only thing I did on Friday was end up in the Sand Lake Road area and I did indeed check out Pinkberry to see if there was anything new there; there wasn’t, but I still got a bite to eat there. By the way, in no surprise to me at all, due to it raining the total IQ of the Florida driver took a noticeable dip, and as I was on the road all three days I saw some of the dirt-worst driving I could imagine seeing. I sometimes think that wrapping my car in bubble wrap would be the safest thing for my vehicle with all those clowns on the road.

Saturday, there was college football then the UFC pay per view at Buffalo Wild Wings. There was a lot going on that night with a big baseball game and some college football games. Those guys trying to figure out which TV would show what event was pretty poor and resulted in many people getting angry about it, which I didn’t need to hear as I was trying to pay attention to the action in the cage. At least with the TV I was watching there were no problems at all. I have no idea why they showed the pay per view in standard definition instead of HD, but compared to the other problems they were having… I shouldn’t really complain. As I was watching the pay per view I did pay a little bit of attention to the other sporting events going on, so it wasn’t a dull night there. The pay per view was quality stuff, as I figured it was going to be. So, despite the drama (and the rain) it was good times there.

By the way, it was pretty dope seeing the shirt that fighter Jose Aldo wore on the way to the ring. It was a blue and yellow deal which advertised one of his sponsors, Dethrone, and it had a tremendous image on it: Toshiro Mifune from the classic Seven Samurai. It was pretty dope. Also, it’ll be my last time seeing a UFC pay per view there until next month, as the next big UFC pay per view on the 29th I won’t be able to see as there’s a big local wrestling show going on which I have to attend; it’s an annual deal and I’ve gone to all of those events since ’04 so I don’t want to break that streak to see some fights which I know what the likely outcome will be.

Sunday, the only thing I did was pretty nice of me; I dropped off some people I know at the airport as they went off on a fantastic voyage to a location out of the state. I was able to use their car so on the way back I got to enjoy some satellite radio. It’s nice, although if I had it full time I don’t know if I would maintain the enjoyment of using it. I still like listening to the burned CD’s I make, and I have I don’t know how many dozens of those. It beats listening to the local radio stations around here, which as of late have turned terrible and now I don’t listen to that as much as I used to. No wonder why satellite radio has become so popular.

As for my upcoming week, I’m expecting it to be not too exciting; at least there will be two Bears games to talk about, as they play tonight and this upcoming Sunday night. The second game is against a poor team, the Minnesota Vikings, so I’ll be shocked if they don’t win that. The game tonight, though, I’m more worried about. For pretty much the entire past half-century, except for a few years the Detroit Lions have been a putrid team. I mean, embarrassingly bad. However, this year they look rather impressive and are undefeated. I’d love it for Chicago to win; I just don’t know if they’ll be able to.

No comments:

Post a Comment