Monday, October 17, 2011

The Lions, Vikings, & Bears, Oh My

Here is a recap of what I’ve done in the past week, which includes having to watch TWO Chicago Bears games. Just from the first one, this wasn’t necessarily a good thing. The only thing I really did on Monday was watch the Bears play on national TV against the Detroit Lions; the Lions for most of the past 50 years have just been a horribly-run franchise, which explains why most of those teams have been just putrid. They’re a lot better and after a start where both teams played some of the worst football you’d ever see, the Lions got better and for much of the game Chicago played like diarrhea. I wasn’t too happy with how the people that run the team didn’t do enough to help protect the quarterback, which has caused problems the last few years and it continued in this game. That made me rather frustrated. The Bears ended up losing 24-13 in a game not as close as the score would suggest.

My Tuesday and Wednesday was boring so I’ll mention that during the past week I found out about a pair of restaurants closing. The first one was the local Perkin’s in Clermont. I had been there a few times before and the food was at least decent. I was just there relatively recently with someone I know; I noticed there wasn’t much of a crowd there, so this wasn’t a surprise. I then looked online a little later in a week to see if a certain restaurant in the Dr. Phillips area was open. As I unfortunately figured, the joint I had been to two times before-known as Twisted Burger-was closed after being open for only about 6 or 7 months at the most. That was really not a surprise to me, as the times I had been there it was practically deserted. Leave The Memories Alone…

Thursday night I picked up my pals at the airport; remember, I dropped them off the preceding Sunday; that was about as exciting as Thursday got. I didn’t really do anything on Friday either, so let me skip ahead to the weekend, which did have some interesting things to talk about.

Saturday I stayed at home until late at night. I went to the Orlando-area… no, not downtown Orlando. Rather, I went to the Enzian Theater to watch an infamous 1980 horror film called Maniac (the Michael Sembello song of the same name was originally written after he saw the movie; he really toned down the lyrics and that’s how it ended up on the Flashdance soundtrack); it was my first time seeing it and it’s not the easiest movie to watch. It’s just intense, graphic, and pulls no punches, to use some clichés. You see someone’s head explode in slow motion via shotgun blast! It does suspense very well in some spots, though. I’m not quite sure how I feel about it; it didn’t suck, though. What also didn’t suck was that the Enzian have a haunted maze sort of deal going on (no, I didn’t go through it) and thus it was a real party there, with employees dressed up and two tables set up with food and alcoholic drink on them. I ordered a spiked punch sort of deal, as why not? Plus, that AND them selling Jello shots reminded me of, well, me consuming that sort of thing at parties at Illinois State University, which was back around TEN years ago; I’m flabbergasted myself those good days of college were so long ago.

Oh, and on the way back I was on I-4 and in a non-shocker of non-shocker I saw some horrible driving on that stretch of road, including a guy who I swore was going at least 100! If I didn’t have to turn off of the highway to the 408 soon after I saw that, I would have tried to floor it to go after him… no, not to kick his ass, but rather get his license plate number and call him in. Honestly now, going 100 when the speed limit was 50… that’s yet another reason why I always complain about all the traffic in this state… I have good reason to do so.

Sunday, I went and saw the Bears play in the evening. It was on national TV but I still went to good old Friendly Confines to check it out… and have some alcoholic beverages. In hindsight, maybe I should have gone to a birthday celebration someone I know (not all that well, but I’ve still briefly chatted with them in person before) had in Orlando at around the same time. I got invited to it via Facebook awhile ago. I just never really thought of going there. It turns out, quite a few people I knew were in attendance; that was breaking news to me when I found out about that online after I got back from watching the Bears game. Eh, oh well. It was a costumed party sort of thing and I did not have any ones on hand, at least anything worthwhile unless I wore some 70’s clothes and went as a hipster… whoops, I mean a guy from that decade. Plus, it involved karaoke and while I’ve gone to those sorts of things before and been fine as people knew NEVER to ask me to do that sort of thing as I’d rather catch leprosy than do a karaoke song. As I remember mentioning in one of these earlier in the year, way back when in my Illinois days I got pretty pissed off at some acquaintances due to them constantly asking me one night to do a song and I had to constantly tell them “no”; maybe I’m the only one who hates having to repeat something over and over…

Anyway, that night there probably wouldn’t have lived up to my expectations and would have been rather awkward. At least I did wish that individual a Happy Birthday on Facebook.

I did manage to have a decent time at FC watching the Bears play against the Minnesota Vikings. It sure as heck helped that the Vikings are a poor football team this year, but Chicago looked far better than they did this past Monday and they kicked some ass, winning 39-10. I enjoyed seeing the Bears play well, needless to say. While I was there I had some beers, including my first-ever taste of Guinness Black Lager. To say something that people would consider blasphemy, regular Guinness tastes like liquid bread to me, and that’s not a good thing. I’ll stick with regular lagers, hard ciders, and drinks like berry-flavored beer, thank you very much. Black Lager was more drinkable to me, and yet I didn’t think it had much of a taste at all, so I’d rather drink something like Pabst Blue Ribbon or some other beer that is known but not the standard fare like Bud or Miller Lite.

As for my upcoming week, I really have nothing planned aside from watching a movie or two on the big screen, and watching the Bears this upcoming Sunday. I could watch them at home but it’ll be more fun to go out and watch them play. They’re against the Tampa Bay Bucs but the game is in London, England. If only I could go to that; it’d be nice to leave North America and visit a lot of spots in Europe. Maybe one day… also, maybe one day I’ll go and attend an NFL game live as I haven’t done that yet. I have no idea how the game will turn out except that it’ll likely be close. I’m sure I’ll find stuff to do to occupy my time (not occupy Wall Street; that whole thing is just lame and I'm sure most of those people don't even fully understand what they're protesting against; they'd be better off finding jobs rather than standing there for days on end. Now, if it was Occupy Wall Street and you're talking about the row of bars in that plaza in downtown Orlando with that name, that's a different story).

No comments:

Post a Comment