Monday, September 5, 2011

The Narrative of Jeremiah Weed & Saying Hello To My Little Friend

This past week ended up being more low-key than what I was expecting, so this will be shorter than usual. I did end up having one interesting day, though.

Unfortunately I have to start this off on a sad note. This happened soon before I posted my last blog, but a relative passed away. He was in his 80’s and I saw him a few times before he passed away; I only wish that last time wasn’t so long ago. It turns out that he lived a rather interesting life. He spent most of his time living near where he was born, but his highlights included fighting in World War II, going on safari in Africa, and visiting the Great Wall of China. I had no idea until last week he did all of this, visiting many different countries and all that. As you might imagine, a sad moment him passing away as it was something that happened suddenly rather than a long illness, but at least he lived quite the life.

On a happier note, Monday and Tuesday were uneventful so I’ll skip ahead to Wednesday, where I got to see Tony Montana and Scarface on the big screen. It was a one night only thing to celebrate that movie finally coming out on Blu-Ray tomorrow. It’s a film I’ve seen a handful of times before but never in a movie theatre. In fact, the first time I saw it… well, it was only the first half hour or so, but it was way back in my college days at Illinois State University in Normal, IL. I was in someone’s room and it was watched on VHS tape; as there was no air conditioning in the dorms at ISU and I was watching this in early May, right before the spring semester ended… we all felt like Tony Montana and Manny did in the bus scene early on, where we were sweating like a bunch of David Tuthill’s*. That summer I rented the VHS tape (actually, it was a two tape deal; remember those old days where you rented super-long movies and they came in a two-pack?) and I’ve enjoyed the movie since then.

• Speaking of that horrible 400 pound plus person/slob/hog, he did something he always does, which is give up way too early on something. From stupid “tournaments” on the toady messageboard to now, he always throws in the towel early. In this case, I saw on his Twitter page that the now-former poker player, who managed to have some success in the past, gave up for reasons unknown and now is back in Florida as a college student, likely at a community college. I can’t help but once again LOL at this horrible excuse for a humanoid.

I tell you, the movie’s print looked and sounded great, so I had a pretty good time watching this in that format. Thankfully, the crowd wasn’t rough as I was expecting; hey, let’s be honest here, many of the people who love Scarface the most fall into a certain segment, and yeah I am tapdancing around this, so let me move on… even more surprising to me was that I was expecting a loud and stupid crowd, but that wasn’t really a problem at all. Thankfully.

As for how things were from then until now… rather low-key. I didn’t go out and do much at all. There was some fantasy football drafts, and one afternoon I went to McDonalds not only to eat there but also use their Wi-Fi in order to update my pal’s iPod. Last evening I was at Winter Garden Village and went to Cold Stone Creamery. I had their Oreo Crème Filling ice cream, and that stuff is pretty great. Other than that, not too much else to write about. I watched quite a bit of college football and for one night, while I did so it was accompanied by some Jeremiah Weed Spiked Cola; that stuff is not bad. As corrupt as major college sports are and all the hypocrisy involved that is a major turn-off, when an exciting game happens I’m happy to watch it.

As for today, once again I’ll be low-key and quiet. After that, though, the upcoming week should be more entertaining, so it’ll make for a longer blog on Monday the 12th; among other things, I’ll see a movie or two, the NFL is starting and I’ll go to both the local Buffalo Wild Wings and Friendly Confines to watch the game and I’ll likely find other activities to participate in.

No comments:

Post a Comment