Monday, February 10, 2020

City Works, XFL, Stryper, Creepy Men & The Oscars

Once again it wasn't the most eventful of weeks, although I still have a few things to discuss and it was nice to visit a restaurant new to me. Monday through Wednesday, not much at all occurred. I went to Burger King in order to use a giftcard I got over a year ago but never used... otherwise, I doubt people want to hear me carp again about how the Burger King restaurants nearest to me have all given me problems before. Thus, I'll mention that at an ungodly hour of the night I took someone to the airport in Sanford, which was as uneventful as expected. On the way back I stopped at a Denny's; I would have preferred if some weird dude did not stare at me and multiple people did not LOUDLY play videos on their phone... it was not my previous occasion at a Denny's, when some young adult woman was being a “sushi snob” to her guy friend and in general was hilariously blunt about most things.

After that, there are bits to mention before I briefly mention last night's Oscars. Friday I had the free time to make my return to Disney Springs, the first time I've been there in like 6 weeks. The day before, City Works Eatery & Pour House opened right by the NBA Experience. They have locations across the country but I did not know of them until they started building it. It has what I'll call “Disney Prices” yet the food was tasty and they have NINETY beers on tap. It's right across from the House of Blues, and I don't know what was more surprising to me: STRYPER playing that night, or there being a big crowd waiting to get in. Stryper is “the Christian metal band from the 80's” and their songs are fine examples of the genre. I did not even know they were still a thing.

Saturday, I went to Planet Smoothie to get a drink for me AND someone else... after that was a trip to the Publix grocery store. They were doing good business at the time; as I put the cart away after the bags were in the vehicle, I saw that some unintelligent person was backing up his car for no good reason and it took a prolonged horn honk for the tool to stop. That wasn't the only dumb thing he did, but I need to instead explain what happened in the store. I was in line and in front of me were several older men. One of them tried paying and as they were a member of the club that Publix offers, they also had to enter their phone number... only it didn't work. The cashier-who was maybe 18-mentioned this. This old men then asked, “Can I have your phone number?”... the silence was astoundingly uncomfortable! That issue was soon then resolved but I imagine that (especially in this day and age) she did not like hearing such a thing from a man that was part of a group of men who all looked old enough to be her father. I am not going to “cancel” those guys as “cancel culture” is not the best way to handle such things... but times are different now.

Anyhow, also during the weekend I saw parts of the XFL games; I still can't believe it came back 19 years later. I remember being at a pal's apartment during my college days at ISU, the debut game being on TV there. Soon after the league folded the first time, I got an XFL shirt from Spencer's Gifts for only a few bucks and when I've worn it to places like comic cons, it's received popular and positive buzz. Wearing that in 2020, I know it will get even more attention. I also had the Academy Awards on, although it was on mute... as I've done for years now. The results were overall better than last year and I was pleasantly surprised Parasite did so well. It was a movie seen three months ago, and it was discussed by me at the time. It does deserve all those awards, IMO.

Who knows what I'll discuss when I return on President's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment