Monday, January 7, 2019

Menards, Key Lime Pie & Playoff Football... Blah!

Not a roaring start to 2019 so far... The last day of 2018 I did nothing at all; I was still in the midst of being at less than 100% so I might as well relax. Besides, I actually had plans for the evening of New Year's Day. I had to go to the airport... yes, again. I originally stopped at a first location to kill time but when I realized their music was WAY too loud & some dopey game was being held (despite it never being advertised on their website) so after like two minutes I left and I don't plan on ever going to that dump again; their loss. The place I ended up again was near Orlando International Airport anyhow (and I am referring to Rock & Brews, a joint I have mentioned before) so I just should have gone there to begin with. I had some drinks and also dessert; I had to have key lime pie-which was tasty as the “Purple Rain Drops” they had on the menu they did not have to order. A darn shame as it was little beignets covered with raspberry drizzle, as that is only natural; one day I will consume them.

Wednesday and Thursday were more days of relaxation, as was Saturday. Friday I stayed in town but at least I did make a trip to the local post office to send something via priority mail (that was thankfully a simple process which only took a few minutes) then ended up at Lucky's Market for the first time in a few months, where I purchased a few random items. Yeah, this preceding week was incredibly boring, I realize; the upcoming week will have more entertainment, I promise. Sunday did feature an activity: going out to see the Chicago Bears play a football playoff game against the Philadelphia Eagles... this is the first Bears playoff game in years so it is a big deal. The team being 12-4 is flabbergasting to me but that is their record. The Eagles had been on a roll so a tough battle was expected by me. That was what happened as I saw the event at an establishment in Orlando. The final score was 16-15... Philadelphia Eagles. I'd rather not talk about the game or how the kicker Chicago had back in the day (who wasn't great in his final year with the Bears, admittedly) has been great with the 49ers or how since then Chicago has had kicker trouble-including this year-and it really bit the team in the hind end yesterday... at least I can pay little attention to the NFL for the rest of the season.

To close this out I will mention some random things. When I returned to Florida from the Kansas trip, what ALWAYS happened proved true once again... that being people driving way worse here and being far more rude. It was not a great reminder to see people holding up traffic, tailgating, leaving their brights on, going way over the speed limit and other buffoon moves. Something else I should have mentioned from me the last time was what I did one morning while I was in Wichita. When I was a kid back in Illinois, a common sight was commercials for the Midwestern home improvement chain known as Menards. Back in the 90's those ads would have an old dude w/ a strong Upper Midwest accent explain what was on sale at the time, and a jaunty bluegrass tune was in the background; each end would end with the jingle Save Big Money at Menards. Well, via an ad I saw while I was there, they still have the same commercial music and jingle, which delighted me to no end. Walking around the store they have in Wichita, I was reminded that they indeed can compete with the national chains like Home Depot.

When I return a week from today, I should have more to discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment