Monday, December 31, 2018

The One Time I Talked About the End of 2018

Monday the 17th and Tuesday the 18th I did not do much at all, unless people really wanna hear about my trip to Walmart. Wednesday I got a haircut, which yes was needed. I received a phone call mid hair cut and when I could I looked to see who it was... the situation could have been an emergency so I did step out... turns out, it was nothing important at all. A little embarrassing, but you never know... anyhow, Thursday I went and made an airport run; yes, again. The trip there and back was through pretty rainy weather so of course I saw people drive recklessly-that said it was an otherwise nondescript journey. Friday, I did so something different: attend a University of Central Florida men's basketball game as their opponents were... Illinois State University, also known as the school I used to go to way back in the day. It was cool seeing them play live for the first time since early 2004. Regrettably, ISU looked pretty bad on that night and UCF easily won the game 77-56-for a good amount of the game they were losing by more than that margin. I still don't regret going... plus, outside the arena they had an outdoor carnival, complete with an ice rink. No, I was not on ice skates as that would be an unwise proposition.

Saturday I did nothing so on to me talking about what has become a tradition, which is heading on over to Kansas for Christmas to see family. Like last year, lunch was had at a Raising Cane's in southern Mississippi; their chicken is pretty tremendous so it is unfortunate they don't have any in Florida. The first day ended in Conway, Arkansas; as I always say at this time of year, southeastern Arkansas is pretty depressing as many of the towns you go through has plenty of boarded-up buildings and while the weather this year was fine, usually it is cloudy and rainy which only makes it look worse. A late dinner was had at a Logan's Roadhouse and unlike tradition, the meal was rather lousy (the food was not prepared as it should have or was just plain bad) and so was the service. Monday we reached our destination and it was nice to see family again. Christmas Eve dinner was at a Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen as it was a chain that was open and the place was fine for everyone. Christmas Day was pot roast and that was good. Some nights were carry-out, which was fine by me due to how chilly the weather got. I was amused that one night featured food from a local joint known as Big Larry's... although that did not knock me for a loop like finding out that Wichita has sports bars named EMERSON BIGGANS and WHISKEY DICKS. No, none of us went to them, even me going solo. Believe me I did laugh at hearing those names. 

As for the time in Wichita, it's better to say not enough rather than too much. As always it was nice seeing my sister and the whole family. The weather there was unseasonably warm, until it became pretty cold. What a change in less than 48 hours to leave a place where the car was packed in below freezing weather and return to an unseasonably warm Florida. The only thing of note I'll mention about the drive back is that it was late Saturday night in rural southeastern Mississippi on a four lane road that would eventually turn into two lane. Thankfully there was hardly anyone on the road as suddenly we saw someone driving in the opposite lane... then after a few seconds, we both realized the highway was still four lanes! That's right, this SOB was driving the wrong way on the road. I don't know if he was impaired or just confused but I hope that fool did not cause a wreck. Part of that trip involved rain and fog although it was clear when we saw the wrong way driver.

There isn't too much to say about 2018 in general; I am glad I was able to see some celebrities up close (such as Pam Grier) and I even got to talk to a few... one in particular I definitely would never forget and while it did not go exactly as expected, getting to meet that particular late 90's-early 2000's starlet was incredible. When I return a week from today, I have an idea or two as to what I'll be discussing in the first few days of 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment