Monday, December 10, 2018

Schindler's List, Winter Wassail, Gelato Bars & Army vs. Navy

This time around some serious topics will be brought up. Monday I stopped at my bank then purchased some random items from the local Winn Dixie store. Tuesday evening, I went with someone to a restaurant; back this past spring I went to a Rock and Brews restaurant and thought it was pretty cool, as I talked about here at the time. Since then they opened a location in Kissimmee right by what will soon be Margaritaville Resort Orlando. Me and that other person were glad we went there as both meals were enjoyed and it was a good first impression for this other person. It was cool to eat a meal while listening to the live version of Take Me to the River by the Talking Heads or Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits.

Wednesday and Thursday I did nothing of note; Friday I returned to Disney Springs. Starting this past Friday and lasting for a week, a little more than 1,000 locations across the country are having special 25th anniversary screenings of Schindler's List; I had seen it before, but never on the big screen and that one viewing was many, many years ago. Thus, this was an important movie I had to view again. While it definitely is difficult to watch at times due to the unflinching look at the Holocaust, it is an outstanding film and the best thing a legendary director has ever done. I also had dinner there; I was originally going to eat at one location but I got disrespected (long story I don't want to get into) so instead I had my meal somewhere else and I was able to have dessert from a new location. Wolfgang Puck just opened a new restaurant/bar and it looks to be rather frou-frou and the meals likely cost beaucoup dollars. However, there is also an outdoor gelato bar attached which offers several different desserts. The prices there weren't too outrageous so gelato is what I had and it was quite delicious.

Saturday and Sunday I did nothing at all; with how rainy Sunday was I was happy to stay in. That night I did see the Chicago Bears upset the Los Angles Rams (one of the best teams in the league this year), which was good. Saturday afternoon I watched the big Army vs. Navy football game, which has been a big deal for many decades now and have had a rivalry on the gridiron since the 1890's. I never have a stake in who wins-I just hope for a close game, which it usually is in recent years. As I have broached some serious topics this time, it will seem gauche to mention how Florida traffic is still atrocious and more than once in the past few weeks an accident has almost happened to me due to the stupidity of others, so instead I will note that late last month while I was at Trader Joe's I purchased a container of a drink known as Winter Wassail. This was unfamiliar to me so I was curious. It's a spiced fruity drink from the UK that's been around since the olden times and finally having tried it recently, it's not bad.

When I return next time, I definitely will have more to discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment