Monday, September 10, 2018

The Nun, Perfect Blue, Vintage Chicago Bears & RIP The Bandit

In the preceding week, I did not do much at all and in fact I only had one real interesting day. That said, I still have a few things to discuss. Monday through Wednesday were pretty dull so I don't need to dwell on that as I know no one is interested in hearing about the local establishments I got food from or ate at. Thus, onto Thursday, which had a lot happen. The news that Burt Reynolds had passed away made me pretty sad; I knew he was in poor health for awhile but his movies were watched by me since I was a little kid so I was like millions of people in finding this news to be pretty awful. I got to see him in person once; that was way back in March of 2011 when Turner Classic Movies held an event at the historic Tampa Theatre and before a screening of Smokey and the Bandit there was a Q&A with Burt. It was great seeing him talk while surrounded by hundreds of people, then hundreds of people got to laugh along with a very funny movie; the night will never be forgotten. In the evening I returned to Disney Springs. I ate at Splitsville because it had been a hot minute since my last time there. I had a nice meal and nice frozen drink.

I saw two movies on this night and between the films I had a cocktail at The Edison, as it seemed like a good thing to do. The first one was the late 90's anime movie Perfect Blue, which had a special screening. The movie is quite similar to 2010's Black Swan, and it is great. The second movie was The Nun; I had seen all the other movies in The Conjuring universe so it only made sense. While I wish the crowd would have been smarter, them being enthusiastic for it helped make me think it was fine... the story had its issues but the mood & atmosphere were very well done. Friday I did nothing so onto what was mostly a low-key weekend.

Saturday I did try out a local restaurant for the first time; to be exact, I ordered food online and got takeout from a place known as Pizzanos. I got there and there was a foul-up on their part so it took some time before I received my food. That wasn't ideal but at least the meal tasted fine. Sunday was the start of the Chicago Bears season as they played in the evening vs. the Green Bay Packers. The first half started so well, then the second half happened... I'd rather not talk about what happened, except that it was vintage Chicago Bears. The eventual outcome regrettably was not a surprise to me and the more things change... 

I know I'll have more to talk about when I return next Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment