Monday, August 27, 2018

The One Time I Saw Many Movies Theatrically

Yes, that was the theme for the preceding week. This past Monday, I went out and ended up at an AMC Theatres to see a pair of foreign films. The first was the South Korean The Spy Gone North, a drama about a spy in the 90's undercover in North Korea; it is rather loosely based on a true story, which is for the norm anywhere in the film world, I suppose. I'll say it was pretty good. I then saw my first ever Indian theatrical movie... it only happened because the schedule worked out that way and I have the AMC Stubs A-List app, but I then saw Satyameva Jayate, about a good cop going after a vigilante who is killing corrupt police officers... by setting them on fire. The movie is pretty wild: I mean, over the top in every way and full of contrivances. Yet I was entertained by the spectacle. The vigilante might as well been from a comic book movie or one of the Fast & Furious films; he was superhuman in strength and did such things as punch through windows with no damage and rip off an SUV door from its hinges so he could use it as a shield. It was also different seeing a film where I am pretty sure I was the only non South Asian in a big crowd... that audience was boisterous although thankfully usually not distractingly so. The drive there demonstrated something I talk about all the time: poor driving resulted in me seeing the aftermath of two multi-car wrecks in the span of like 500 feet.

Tuesday, I went to the local Olive Garden with someone; that went as expected. Wednesday I did nothing but Thursday was more interesting for sure. I went to an AMC Theatres in order to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey on an IMAX screen. Besides it being the 50th anniversary of that classic, in October the movie will come out in 4K UHD and this print is that remastered version of the movie; until Wednesday the movie will play at various IMAX locations a few times a day. I've seen 2001 a few times in my life, including once on the big screen in September of 2016. On a giant screen, the experience was incredible, as the movie is still incredible. I wish everyone in the crowd would have thought the same way but alas... it seemed as if a number of people had not viewed the movie before. If they had legit criticisms that would be fine. What I heard during the 20 minute or so intermission was not that; instead it was either general “Ahh, this movie is awful!” or this dopey complaint of “The breathing when they wear their space helmets, it's too loud!” Yeah, the screening had the soundtrack pretty loud but I was insulted when I heard those gripes. Still, that did not ruin things and at least I can give the compliment that no one talked when 2001 was playing.

Friday and Saturday I did nothing of note, which was fine by me. Saturday afternoon I had lunch at a local quick-service place, but Sunday was far more interesting. I returned to the Silver Moon Drive-In in Lakeland to see a double-feature. Both movies I had some interest in despite rotten reviews for both. Well, both The Happytime Murders and Mile 22 were pretty lousy. The former I hoped to enjoy; I mean, there's the late 80's New Zealand movie Meet the Feebles, which is about a Muppet-like group that has a variety show but they are all dysfunctional and it is hilariously vulgar; it's from Peter Jackson... yes, that Peter Jackson. That was far better than Happytime, which only got a few chuckles from me; instead I was annoyed by all the arguing and how liberally foul language was being used for really no reason. Speaking of foul language, Mile 22... sure it has graphic violence but it was filmed in an incoherent way and aside from the needless cursing, Marky Mark as the lead played a real jerk... a character I couldn't stand. What a missed opportunity as with the story and the people involved, it should have been at least fun but it wasn't even that.

When I return on Labor Day, I have a few ideas as to what I'll be talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment