Monday, August 20, 2018

BlacKkKlansman, Grave of the Fireflies & Oreo Rocky Road Trip

Not the most exciting of weeks, and yet that is OK. I know the upcoming seven days will have more for me to discuss. This past Monday, I ended up at Universal Studios CityWalk; I did stroll around there briefly (nothing new is there) before going in their AMC to see a special screening of a famous anime movie from the 80's, Grave of the Fireflies. It is decidedly NOT one of those whimsical Japanese cartoon films like My Neighbor Totoro; instead the plot follows a pair of kid siblings as they try to survive the end of World War II in Japan... things do not go well, yet the movie is excellent as the relationship is so great and touching among all the heartbreak.

Even before I made it to Universal, I stopped at a Florida's Turnpike rest stop to have a meal, which went fine. I went to the car to leave when a reporter from the local Fox station stopped to ask me a few questions. No, I was not interviewed on camera, thankfully. I was asked about soon E-ZPass (the toll collecting system) will be coming to Florida; no, it won't replace Florida's SunPass but instead it can be used by those who already are E-ZPass members in another state and are in Florida on vacation, for example. As I did not know this was coming here, I did not offer any illuminating comments about it to the reporter. Speaking of SunPass, it was just recently that the service finally started working properly again. You see, back in June the site and system was upgraded, only the company they used was inept and it turned into a fiasco. The entire site was down for an entire week and once it came up, things did not work right for weeks so it was just recently that everyone's balance was calculated... until then no one knew how much they were spending on tolls. Yep, that company will be getting sued pretty soon.

Tuesday I did nothing but Wednesday I first went to Sam's Club (w/ someone that has a membership) to pick up a few items. Then, on the way back we were going to eat at a local restaurant, only to get there and read a sign saying they were “temporarily closed”; it could very well be “permanently closed” in the near future. Thus, instead we ate at Denny's. That went fine, although it was a little awkward hearing the cook give the one server there a lot of lip and otherwise ripping him a new one. Thursday, I went to a new movie theatre that is not too far from me. It is not an AMC (so I'll only be there once in awhile); instead it is a Cinepolis and this particular one is “luxury”, meaning you get food ordered from and delivered to your seat in the auditorium. A lot of the food wasn't for me but I did have the chicken tenders & fries, which were good. The place itself looks great and I can't complain about the staff either.

The film I saw there was BlacKkKlansman, which was as unsubtle as I expected given the director and subject matter. I will say it was very good as the actual story is fascinating and the cast does a swell job, especially leads John David Washington and Adam Driver. Friday, I went to Walmart to pick up a few random items and that went as expected. One of the items was Oreo Rocky Road Trip, which was as good as I'd expected. Saturday and Sunday I did nothing at all, so I'll end this now and like I said, I'll have more to discuss the next time I am here.

No comments:

Post a Comment