Monday, March 26, 2018

Rock & Brews, Pacific Rim: Uprising & Being A Gringo

What a rather nondescript week I had. Monday the 19th I did nothing of note. Tuesday was more intriguing, though. I recently found out about a place tailor-made for me. Rock & Brews is a national chain which recently opened two locations around Orlando; both are not that close to me. That is a shame as it was a nice-enough joint. As it is a place which plays rock (usually classic), has a decent variety of bar food and also a decent variety of craft beer... I would have been crestfallen if I wasn't a fan. Thankfully I was, and the pizza I had was tasty. On the way back I happened to pass by what looked like a Hispanic grocery store. I was curious so I stopped & went in. I was correct in my assumption. I hope they did not mind any gringos in there; as I was the only one who was a gringo and I doubt anyone will ever confuse me for a Hispanic... a little awkward yet things were fine. The cashier spoke to me in Spanish so thankfully she only said two pleasantries and the total amount.

Wednesday I went with someone to the local Texas Roadhouse restaurant; I had no complaints there. Thursday I went to Walmart, where I picked up some miscellaneous items and nothing out of the ordinary occurred. Friday and Saturday I did nothing of note as I was just too tired, I had things like college basketball (I was glad Loyola of Chicago made it to the Final Four) and Live PD I could watch, and it'd make more sense to stop at a few places on Sunday and have that be one busy day. Thus, onto Sunday. On that day was Pacific Rim: Uprising. I know plenty of people did not care for the first one and even I can say it has its flaws... I always thought it was very good and a lot of fun. Seeing it again on Blu-ray in the past week confirmed those feelings. It's a sequel and the original director did not return so I was expecting diminishing returns. My opinion on Uprising: it's not awful yet it's not great either. I'll say “meh” and that was me enjoying the action and some of the characters. The story is just really dumb and there was one important character that was pretty awful all around and that sank the movie like an anchor. By this point I already heard negative reviews about the movie so I was prepared.

Before the movie I ate at a Back Yard Burgers. I hadn't been there in years, because its location is not on a path I ever travel so I have to go out of my way to eat there. Their food is fine so I suppose I should have made more of an effort to return there sooner. Alas... when I return a week from today I hope to have more to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment