Monday, March 5, 2018

Marco's Pizza, The Dude, & Many Theatrical Experiences

I say "many" as I saw 6 movies theatrically. Monday the 26th, I went and got food from Marco's Pizza, which has a store not that far from me yet this was my first experience with them. I got their XL cheese pizza for a nice price; the real reason was that I had a coupon for their Cinnasquares, which sounded like food right up my alley. Naturally, they did not have that available when I called so it'll have to be saved for another day. At least the pizza was good. Tuesday through Thursday weren't too exciting, aside from picking up someone at the big airport in Orlando-yes, again-so I'll mention that I saw a film one of those nights: Annihilation. I loved director Alex Garland's last film (Ex-Machina) so I had to see that. I did not love it but the movie is very good, and I enjoyed sci-fi on a “smarter” level where various things are ambiguous.

Friday, I was in Orlando for something and the highlights there: me eating dinner at a Friendly Confines restaurant for the first time in months, going to the Safeway grocery store for a few items, and having beverages at a nearby World of Beer. While at Friendly Confines I saw they had a beer from the South Florida brewery Ormond Brewing Company called THE DUDE, which is a White Russian milk stout. I have my opinions about The Big Lebowski which I won't share here but it seemed like something I should try so I could tell people about it; I don't recall ever having an White Russian drink but this beer was fine. Saturday I did which is now a yearly tradition and that is heading on over to the AMC at Disney Springs to see one of their two movie marathons the two Saturdays before the Academy Awards of the Best Picture nominees. Here are the five movies I saw with a few hundred people:

Dunkirk: I am still meh about the film even if it has some exciting moments.

Darkest Hour: It is rather not truthful when it comes to some big scenes yet I can still say it was pretty good overall; Oldman's performance was great. It playing after Dunkirk was a natural as a large part of this was about them evacuating the troops there.

Call Me by Your Name: It seemed a little overlong at times but it was still very good, a nice romance between two characters that happened to both be men.

The Post: Again, pretty good. Comparisons to Spotlight are obvious and Spotlight was definitely better, but this was helped by having two main actors and a legendary director . The crowd seemed more enthused than I was, applauding some big moments.

Get Out: Somehow I hadn't seen this until now, despite all the attention and praise it got in the past year. Shame on me as it was indeed great. The crowd loved the Rod character (as did I) and they loved the big swerve at the ending.

Sunday, I went to the local World of Beer for a bit. That went fine. I watched Illinois State basketball lose to Loyola of Chicago in their conference's championship game; I can't get angry about it as Loyola was the favorite and they hadn't been in the big NCAA postseason tournament since I was a toddler. As for the Oscars, as usual I watched it on mute; it mostly went as expected when it came to winners; the best in each category did not always win but the Oscars have always been like that. I haven't seen The Shape of Water so I cannot say if it should have won Best Picture or not. I am surprised it did as I know its most controversial scene.

When I return a week from today, not a lot is on the agenda yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment