Monday, August 7, 2017

Dunkirk, Atomic Blonde, Purple Squirrel & New Phone, Who Dis?

Yes, I am quoting a meme here but this past Friday I did get a new phone. It is a basic smartphone (a Samsung Galaxy although it's not an S8) and yet it's OK as I was happy to get an upgrade; as for “purple squirrel”, while I don't recall where I first saw the term, it's a phrase used in the job world... a candidate that somehow meets all the qualifications for a job is as rare as a purple squirrel, and the term does make me chuckle.

Thankfully this past week was somewhat interesting. Last Monday night, at sort of the last minute I decided to finally see Dunkirk, even though if it wasn't for Heath Ledger's performance in The Dark Knight then I would not like any of the Christopher Nolan movies I've seen; I haven't seen them all but the ones I've seen, almost all I was meh on at best. Yes, I don't like Batman Begins, The Dark Knight Rises, Interstellar, or Inception. All his films have major flaws and I don't know why critics, film fans and the general public loves him. It'd be fantastic if I could say that I enjoyed Dunkirk as much as most other people do but... I hated the way the story was done so despite it looking and sounding nice (even with an obtrusive score) I can only say it was about average overall.

I did nothing on Tuesday but Wednesday, I ended up in Orlando for something. After that task was completed, I spent time in the area, which included going to the Rocket Fizz store to not only pick up some soda, but also some obscure/foreign candy that is otherwise pretty difficult to find. I had to drive through some pounding rain but I survived. No surprise that even then there'd still be too many people on the road with no headlights on... it's the law in all the states to have it on when you're using your wipers, you bozos! Thursday, I got a haircut at SportClips, as I really needed one. Friday, the only other thing I did besides getting the new phone is watching Live PD, a show I mentioned a few months ago once I started watching it. The Friday night edition (8/4) had an epic 25 minute police chase which was insane and somehow the perp did not crash into anyone and he spun himself out. That was the nuttiest thing I've seen on the show for sure.

Saturday, I went to the Cinemark in Orlando, at the location known years ago as the Festival Bay Mall and then known as Artegon, before Artegon shut down out of nowhere early this year. I hadn't been to that area in like 9 to 10 months. I saw Atomic Blonde. I heard some mixed opinions but I was hoping I'd love it because the plot sounds like something made for me. I agree that the actual spy story isn't spectacular and yet I still liked it quite a bit. It ticked off a number of boxes so it was like the movie was made for me... from the incredible action to the 80's aesthetic, the great period soundtrack and the Cold War setting, at times the movie was seemingly made for me. I am glad it was not a disappointment. Sunday, I stayed at home and relaxed.

When I return a week from today, I should have a few things to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment