Monday, August 28, 2017

Solar Eclipses, Wind River, Terminator 2: 3D, Bulk Nation & Cribbage

Here is what I've done since last Monday; on that Monday the 21st, it was the much-ballyhooed solar eclipse and it would have been interesting to have seen the partial eclipse where I was... except that it was raining at the time. Eh, oh well; I did see total eclipses on TV so it's no biggie. I went out and ended up in Lake Mary. First, I went to Liam Fitzpatrick's Irish Restaurant, which is also a pub; I had my typical meal there and it was tasty. After that I walked to the nearby AmStar Cinemas 12; I only go there once in a blue moon as it's not close by me and getting there requires being on the infamous Interstate 4. They now have those fancy leather recliners retrofitted in, as more and more places are doing nowadays. It's fine but there are fine places closer by me. Oh, and I saw Wind River. As it was written and directed by the dude who wrote Sicario and Hell or High Water (both movies worth seeing) I was hoping I'd dig the film, and I did. If you have seen the two movies I just mentioned and enjoyed them, you will likely enjoy this too.

Tuesday and Wednesday I stayed in and chilled. As it unexpectedly was pouring rain late Wednesday afternoon into the early evening, that turned out to be a good decision on my part. Thursday, I ended up at Disney Springs again. I wasn't expecting to return so soon but it fit my schedule the best and it not being far away was a positive too. First, I returned to D-Luxe Burger for dinner; that went fine. After walking around for a bit, I went to the AMC Theatres; this is the only chain this upcoming week that you can see Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D. Of course I've watched the movie plenty of times in my life and maybe in 2008 or 2009 I got to see it on the big screen, in a beat-up legit film print. It was great watching it that way... a fight almost breaking out because one guy thought he HAD to say various lines of the film along with the character and some people stated how mad this made them... not so great although definitely memorable. Thankfully the audience experience was better this time and there were no issues. A decent amount of people showed up too, which was good. While the film did not need to be in 3D, at least it still looked tremendous and the movie is still incredible. For the record, it was the original theatrical cut that was shown, not the longer version that is also included on all the disk releases of the movie.

Friday, it was another rainy day, so I was happy to stay in. Saturday... no I did not watch “that one boxing fight”; I don't like the sport to begin with and when it's a farcical matchup between an MMA fighter with a tiresome persona and a woman-beating pile of feces... I have no idea why anyone would even be interested in such mismatch or think that the woman-beater wouldn't win in an incredibly boring fashion... or there being a typical clownshow result you only get in boxing. I thought all that beforehand so with how the fight turned out, “yawn” is my reaction. Not seeing a second of it was fine by me. For all I know, the bout was not “on the up and up” anyhow. I did other things instead...

Oh, onto my weekend in particular. Saturday I did go to a store for the first time: Bulk Nation. That central Florida chain opened in town recently. While some items are packaged traditionally, the gimmick is that the store buys many different things in bulk and you put however much you want into a plastic bag... and the cost is based on weight. I got a few items and it was an interesting place. Sunday was dull so let me state something that may be surprising: recently I decided to try out the card game known as cribbage. It may make me sound like “old lady” but at least it's not bridge... I've known of it for years and on a lark I gave it a shot. It's actually interesting and I don't mind playing it once in awhile; cribbage is easy to figure out and I use one of a few apps out there to play it on my phone.

There are other things I could say about the weekend, but I'll bite my tongue. At least Saturday and Sunday still turned out fine for me. When I return on Labor Day, I don't know what I'll be talking about... at least not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment