Monday, June 19, 2017

Dunkin' Donuts, Klingon Beer, Internet Issues & Pandora: The World Of Avatar

There were some ups and downs this past week. Last Monday I went to a Walmart to get a few items. Tuesday, I ended up at a Target for some other items, and before that I went to a Dunkin' Donuts. I rarely go to that establishment. While there I got a grilled cheese sandwich and one donut, which did taste good. One day I should find some of those gourmet donut places, where you can get some elaborate creations. Wednesday was a long day; in the morning I ended up at Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World. That is because I wanted to visit the just-opened Pandora: The World of Avatar. For a movie that made an incredible amount of money, I am not sure how many people care about that property now; it certainly is not a cultural zeitgeist like Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, Mickey Mouse, etc. Still, I was interested in how it looked and plus, I think the movie is good although there are James Cameron movies that I do think are better, like the first two Terminator films and Aliens.

The new Pandora area is breathtaking; it is no exaggeration. I thought it looked amazing and it's better seen in person than described. Along with visually, sounds are piped in and it's a great experience. It's not a large area and there are only a few things to do, but that is OK with me. I was only able to go on the boat ride, which is the standard indoors boat ride a la Pirates of the Caribbean, except that with this one... like in the movie, when it's nighttime in Pandora, everything is lit up and it looks incredible. The other ride is more elaborate and thus, it's not a surprise it only worked part of the time and a huge line formed... so no I did not go on that. Whenever that happens in the future, I hope to give it rave reviews. I walked around the other parts of the park and it was nice as always to see all those animals. After that I went to the Sanford Airport to pick up someone. As it was raining then... no shock to me I saw the aftermath of two accidents. I've already ranted and raved about traffic as of late so I won't do it again, but I definitely am not happy with all the tailgating I've had to deal with in the past few weeks.

Thursday I relaxed; Friday, the Internet stopped working properly. It was after lightning struck right by my abode. In the evening I planned on that being an issue for the next few days, so I went to a Barnes & Noble to use their WiFi to post on a few sites explaining this. I sat in their Starbucks cafe and had a lemon bar & a random drink; both were fine. After that I went to the nearby Twin Peaks for a drink, as I figured I needed one. Speaking of drinks, recently at a World Market I found something quite wacky: Klingon beer. A small brewery from New York state called Shmaltz makes it and I have no idea how much it costs to use a Star Trek license like that. It was an Imperial Porter, which seemed appropriate for a Klingon to drink; it was fine. 

Saturday, the cable provider (Spectrum) was called, as they also provide the Internet. The suggestion was given that the router was the problem. As it was a few years old anyhow and was not always reliable, it was time to get a new one. I got the NETGEAR AC 1750 and what a breath of fresh air it is. It's definitely faster than my old router... yes, that actually was the problem. Sunday was Father's Day and hopefully that was a nice day for everyone. When I return a week from today, I am not quite sure what I'll be discussing... yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment