Monday, February 20, 2017

The Great Wall, Manchester By The Sea, La La Land & Other Movies

Here's what I've done since Monday the 13th. It was another dull week, for the most part. I had other things to focus on and I'll leave it at that. On the 13th I ended up at Burger King, where I got some dinner. The order took forever to be made, but such BS is common at pretty much every Burger King in my vicinity. Tuesday I did nothing and Wednesday was forgettable but Thursday, I went out with someone to an Uno's Pizzeria. That went fine as they usually make good food; sure, a few years ago I got my worst case of food poisoning ever after eating at Uno's one night, but other than that... Friday, I was out and about in the Orlando area. All I'll mention from that is that I ended up seeing The Great Wall. It's a fancy B movie, pretty much. You certainly can carp about the script or the plot or how it's so silly, yet it's fun as the action scenes are quite entertaining.

Saturday, that was the most interesting day of the past week, for sure. As I did in 2014 and 2016, I spent a Saturday watching some of the Best Picture Oscar nominees at one of the AMC Theatres (in my case, the ones at what is now known as Disney Springs) holding an event where two Saturdays in February they play those movies in a marathon. I only do it one of the two Saturdays as it eats up most of an entire day. Yet, the two times I did it before, it was a lot of fun seeing a movie marathon with a big crowd. It's in a large auditorium that holds almost 350 people and it is always near sold out; no wonder AMC has done this on a yearly basis since 2007. It is neat seeing nominees that weren't box office hits (such as Nebraska or Her) alongside films like The Martian or Spotlight or Captain Phillips. Last year I got to see The Revenant that way, and while I thought it was only “fine” overall, the film itself was full of beautiful images so I am glad I saw it on the big screen.

Now, Saturday overall was a pretty “blah” day for me. Between the traffic both there and back, the massive cluster F that was getting hot food while in the AMC (it shouldn't have been so complicated even if it was busy), and other factors... a day I'd rather forget. The fact that they now have reserved seating at this place-I'll never be a fan of that-and unlike the previous two times, I had to be around some rather noxious people, that didn't help either.

This year I saw the following films, which I'll give my brief thoughts on:

Manchester by the Sea: It had some great moments and some quality performances. To me, the movie was full of A-holes being A-holes and yelling at each other. No thank you to that noise.

Fences: While it's definitely based on a stage play, it's still greatly engrossing and the two leads are outstanding.

Hell or High Water: I saw this last summer on the big screen. I dug it then and I still dig it now.

La La Land: I did not love it like everyone else does. I would have preferred seeing actual musicals from all those decades ago, and also listen to jazz records rather than have some white hipster tell me about it. It is pleasant overall despite some weird story moments.

To me, Moonlight (which I saw a few months ago) is the best movie of 2016.

Sunday I did not do a thing, which was fine by me. When I return a week from today, hopefully things will be more interesting for me. I have a birthday coming up in a few days, which is neat. I'll at least be out and about a few of those days, so I should have things to discuss... having days that aren't crappy would be nice also.

No comments:

Post a Comment