Monday, November 7, 2016

Saugatuck Blueberry Maple Stout, Portmanteaus Gone Wrong & The World Series

I won't go in chronological order this time. I have to talk about the Cubs winning the World Series first. Game 7 was Wednesday and as it was a historic deal, I decided to go out & about to see it. I was thinking of places to go and I realized that I need to go to Universal CityWalk, as the longwinded The Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen recently opened, I was interested in checking it out, and with my schedule I wouldn't have a great chance to until late this month, so that's why I went to CityWalk rather than stop off at a traditional sports bar. After I walked around that joint and got two candy bars (the first of which I ate in the car before I drove back home. It's pricey but good) I went to the NBC Sports Grill & Brew to see the game.

The Cubs were the Cubs, so more than once they almost blew it and lost the game. It went back and forth, did not end until the 10th inning and there was even a 17 minute rain delay. But finally, they won the World Series for the first time in 108 years, and it was an amazing sight to see. I know and knew plenty of Cubs fans; some I haven't talked to in years and a few unfortunately have passed away; I did tip a glass to my late grandfather. I am happy for all those people. It was nice to do so while having a few beverages.

On Halloween, I did nothing of note, which was fine by me. I stayed in and chilled. Not a lot of trick or treaters came by, but that's typically been the case in recent years. More Halloween candy for me! The Bears played on this night against the superior Minnesota Vikings. I was expecting a game that was appropriate for the day, i.e. horrifying and terrifying to watch. Well, it was the usual NFL garbage that has pretty much made the game unwatchable, and to me it wasn't that pleasing to watch... and yet somehow, the Bears won 20-10. I can't explain it but I'll take the victory. The Bears don't play again until the 13th, at Tampa. Tuesday, what I did was go to my local bank to drop off something, then it was off to the Doctor Phillips area. Yes, I'll always laugh that there's an Orlando suburb called Doctor Phillips. I went to the World of Beer, where I had two beverages. I heard rave reviews about the German beer Kostritzer. It is a Schwarzbier. That beer is dark but is smoother than a porter or stout. I also had the Saugatuck Blueberry Maple Stout and it was as tasty as it sounds as it actually did taste like blueberries and maple.

Thursday, I didn't do anything; Friday was a different story. I went with some people to downtown of the city I live in; this is because the first Friday of each month they block off part of downtown and set up booths and food trucks. It's neat. In the future I'll go there by myself so I can have more time to wander around and I could also have dessert after dinner. I got food from a place that sold chicken bites. While it wasn't quite what I expected, it at least tasted fine so I am not complaining. They also had a burger truck, and I couldn't believe what I saw. On the menu they had displayed, I saw that each burger had its own name. They decided to do a portmanteau for the burger that is served between a pair of donuts. To me it sounds disgusting so I'll never eat it, but in this case they probably shouldn't have combined donut and burger; that is because...

They called it a DONGER. I am sure most can see why this is a problem; I'll just say that if they served hot dogs, that'd be a better place to use such a name! I can only laugh and marvel at how they are using the name and they must have no idea what it was that they did. Talk about incredible.

Saturday, I went to another World of Beer, this time the one right in town. I had a few different German beers, all in different styles and only one I had tried before. It does help in picking out what I should and shouldn't drink in the future. Sunday, it was yet another airport run for me. After I dropped them off, I stopped at a World Market on the way back as I hadn't been to one in months. Several items were purchased. When I return a week from today... I'll have plenty to talk about. It's actually a week where I wish that there weren't multiple things to do in the span of a few days. I still plan on seeing the Bears play live but there's other activities so it will be a hectic Friday through Sunday for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment