Monday, November 28, 2016

Moonlight, Thanksgiving, Auto Shows & Skipping Bad Football

Here's what I've done since last Monday. I did not do anything of note on Monday so let me skip ahead to Tuesday. I returned to Lakeland and it may be my last time in the area for at least a few months. I ate at the Florida chain Burger 21; they make decent food. I got some gourmet sodas from Rocket Fizz. Oh, and for the first time in a few years I saw a movie at the Cobb Theatres they have there. It was a heavily hyped movie I heard about on sites such as Letterboxd and other places on the Internet. It is called Moonlight and it is about a young black man in Miami; you see him at three points in his young life and while the themes include his sexuality, parts of it can be relatable to a lot of people. Sad to say, being an outcast and not being treated well due to being “different”, the way some cretins treated me from elementary through high school... those parts did hit pretty close to him for me. It's being predicted already to get some Oscar nominations, and for good reason as I also think that the movie is excellent. I am glad I saw it, and there was only one other random person in there at the screening.

Wednesday, all I did was get a much-needed haircut, so onto Thanksgiving. It was a typical Thanksgiving where not much was done aside from having the big meal with the parents, but I am OK with that. Staying in and relaxing is always fine with me. Friday, it's what I almost always do the day after Thanksgiving, which is attend the Central Florida International Auto Show at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando. Not all the companies that make cars for the American automobile market send cars here (many of the luxury ones skip this) but that is OK as there are still plenty of different vehicles you can take a close look at and many can be sat in, which is awfully nice. It is always neat sitting in something like a Mustang, a Corvette, or a Camaro. As typical, the “younger people” enjoyed such vehicles as the ones I just mentioned, while plenty of older folks enjoyed the large sedans. The brand new Lincoln Continental was very popular with them, and it is a sharp-looking ride. Personally, I am glad that unlike most of the times I am at the Convention Center, I did not have to walk a country mile from the parking lot to the building. 

The weekend, it was another quiet one from me. I did not do anything of note. The Bears played against a mediocre team in the Tennessee Titans, but as the Bears are terrible, I figured they would lose so why go out to see them? Turns out, I was right. Chicago was down big early but behind a young (yet inexperienced) quarterback, they tried to make a comeback and they could have had a shocking win. As they were the 2016 Bears, they failed and I was glad I did not see such nonsense in person.

The next Bears game is against San Francisco, a rare team that is even worse; the game could be among the worst in NFL history, so who knows if I'll even feel like watching that slop. I imagine many people out there would like to see San Francisco quarterback-the much reviled Colin Kaepernick-get his clocked cleaned by the Bears defense. You'll have to see a week from today if I do watch this or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment