Monday, August 22, 2016

Hell Or High Water, Waffle House, Blood Father & Handball

Once again not the most exciting week for me, but alas. On Monday the 15th, I did do something in the evening. I returned to CityWalk at Universal Studios. Besides walking around there and noting that sometime soon the new (and long named) The Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen will open-I will be real interested in checking that out-I saw a movie there. It was the only Orlando location for a film that most will see direct to video or on the streaming sites: Blood Father, starring Mel Gibson. It's a standard action movie about him trying to protect his teen daughter after she does some pretty bad things w/ some pretty bad people. While not revolutionary, it is fun, especially for old-school action fans. Note that me watching this is NOT an endorsement of Gibson's controversial actions or the beliefs he's stated in the past. After that, I got a snack from a Cinnabon, as I hadn't eaten anything from one of those in a real long time.

Tuesday I did not do anything so let me mention what I did on Wednesday: WAFFLE HOUSE. I hadn't been to one of those in at least a few years. I went with someone who hadn't been to one in a very long time, as in “over a decade.”  The food is never great at a Waffle House but at least it's made quickly and it tastes fine. This was the case when we were there. Thursday was another boring day, so onto Friday; I was thinking of going out somewhere and seeing a movie, but due to circumstances beyond my control, that changed. It is OK as it was a change for the better, and I won't bore you with the specifics why. Instead I went to Winter Garden Village to pick up something I needed from Staples, purchased a tasty beverage from Planet Smoothie, then ate dinner at a Jersey Mike's Subs. Saturday was yet another day where I stayed in and relaxed. I did not care about Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz fighting each other back in March, am still baffled that so many idiot UFC fans DID care, and cared even less about those two having a rematch on this night, so no way was I going out to see that pay per view. Instead, I spent time doing what I mentioned the last time I wrote, which was stream various niche (at least in the United States) Olympic events; I am talking about such things as archery, field hockey and handball. I wish those sports were as popular here as they were elsewhere around the world, but alas... also as I said recently, while Rio was not the best hosts at least the sporting events were fun to watch and it was a nice diversion.

At least Sunday was more interesting. In the evening, I went to the Safeway grocery store to pick up a few items; as they had several things at a discount if you purchased a few of them... yeah, I was roped into getting more than expected, but it's OK. After that I went to the AMC at the Altamonte Mall, where I saw Hell or High Water, a crime drama set in West Texas and starring Chris Pine, Ben Foster, and Jeff Bridges. It's great. If you enjoy things like No Country for Old Men, then this is a must-see. I enjoyed seeing a mature drama instead of the usual garbage that plays theatrically in the summer. When I return a week from today, I actually have a few ideas about what I'll be discussing. I'll be out and about, both doing things for the first time and meeting people I haven't seen in far too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment