Monday, January 18, 2016

Bakeries, Dental Adventures, Powerball & Bad Experiences

Here's a recap of what I have done in the past week. Monday, in the evening I returned to the local Hurricane Grill & Wings in order to have dinner and I figured I should stick around to see the big final championship game of the college football season between Alabama and Clemson. I was hoping that Clemson would win as their opponents have won too often as of late; alas, it didn't happen, and the Clemson fan by me was crestfallen. It wasn't too crowded there and I was fine by that and there was little in the way of incredibly annoying “sports fans” around. The game was exciting at all but there was an error by the person who ran the clock at the game... I won't bore anyone with the details but it never should have happened and who knows if the result would have been different; it reminds me why I am pretty “meh” on major college sports.

Tuesday, I went to the Florida Mall, where I purchased a Star Wars shirt (it isn't my first) and I had a treat from a new place in the food court called Carlo's; it's a bakery and the food was good and all. However, how the place is set up and the whole process of trying to order something there is WAY too complex for what should be a simple thing-even if it was busy-and when I still don't know if I did it right... there were no helpful signs or any employees who offered explanation so I just winged it. That whole thing is a turn-off even if they had tasty treats. Anyhow, after that I picked up someone from the Orlando International Airport.

Wednesday, I went to the dentist. Sad to say it was to have a crown; the tooth had been slowly disintegrating for months now. The temporary is on there now and I'll get the permanent on Groundhog's Day. I also got a Powerball ticket; I rarely play the lottery but I had to on this occasion. Needless to say, I didn't win. Thursday, I did not do anything of note so let me skip ahead to Friday, where the only thing I'll mention I did was go to Larry's Giant Subs as I hadn't eaten there in awhile and I do rate their food highly. It was indeed delicious.

Saturday, my activities were in the evening. That started off poorly. I went to a Walmart Neighborhood Market, as I hadn't been to one in a long time. After this night, I won't be to another one for a long time. I got some items and even though it was a Saturday night, they weren't smart enough to have it come close to be fully staffed so I wasn't going to wait in the two checkout lanes that were open; instead I would go to the self checkout. I figured I'd scan those few items, insert some cash then leave. Only after I scanned an item did the prompt appear that I could only pay via card. At least I got to try out the new credit card I got; it's only new in that I had it for 3 years so in a matter of days it would expire.

After that I was going to hang out at a location and see some sports action, but that place had a full parking lot so I knew to move on, and as Universal Studios was nearby I figured I should go there. Now they have metal detectors, and I understand as it's unfortunately a sign of the times. I walked around, had some Cold Stone Creamery, and I found a place (Margaritaville) to quench my thirst and I saw the ending of the Packers vs. Cardinals game, which was quite exciting. As I am a Bears fan, I am glad that Arizona won and Green Bay lost. But even in the parking lot of Universal, I had to deal with idiocy, and a driver who I swore had to be on drugs; I wish that security would have seen their actions, so that they wouldn't have even made it into the area and cause who knows what sorts of havoc. Yes I did honk at them, as I am me.

Sunday wasn't much better. I did see The Force Awakens for the third and likely last time on the big screen, this time at Pointe Orlando, as they have an old IMAX screen, the OG gigantic screen rather than the much smaller IMAX screens that popped up in recent years. It was great seeing it that way and the movie's still awesome. Unfortunately, their wacky device that validates all parking tickets so you don't have to pay at the parking garage before you leave, that didn't work and I wasn't sure of that until I stuck the ticket in to see if I had to pay. I wasn't happy about that. Then I went to a nearby Buffalo Wild Wings, only to have their wacky limited edition flavor that involved MOUNTAIN DEW for some boneless wings, and it must have lasted only 2 weeks-if that-as it was already gone and if that wasn't enough to make me irked, the service there was poor and I did not stay silent when it came to letting them know how I felt about them ignoring me... I won't elaborate on the rest of my experience there but after this weekend there are several places I know I won't visit for a long while. I am fine with that as at least in this part of Florida there are plenty of other locations I can go to for many different needs.

When I return next Monday, I won't have as much on the agenda and I am actually OK with that. This past week wasn't great for me so I am hoping for better this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment