Monday, April 13, 2015

Megacon, Sprite Lebron's Mix, Bob Ross & Real Life Worries

I am going to go out of order in this update. I figured that the first thing I should do is mention how a few days ago tornadoes tore through the northern part of Illinois, not far from where I was born and grew up in before moving to Florida. Thankfully I did not hear of anything bad happening to people I know but I feel real bad for those people that were affected by it. The small town of Fairdale that got destroyed, I actually had been through there a number of times in the past as it was on a route that was taken as a shortcut to my house either when the family was returning from a vacation or I was driving home from college. That was a sobering thought when I realized it.

The most interesting day for me was Friday, when I went to the Megacon convention. I went there late last March of 2014 & that was my first-ever convention. I was awed by its size, popularity, and all the cosplayers; some outfits I recognized but many were completely lost on me. Well, Friday it was more of the same and I was OK with that. Many of the vendors there weren't of much interest to me as I am actually not a comic book guy and never have been. So, I was happy just to walk around and admire all the cosplayers; I give credit to all of them for creating their outfits, no matter the effort for each person. Some were quite elaborate, such as someone wearing a Mechagodzilla costume; that was quite popular. The only dressing up I did was wear a Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon shirt, which did get some props. I won't go through all the costumes I saw; they were either Asian-related or what you'd expect, for the most part. The guy who went as Bob Ross, that was pretty great. Like last year, some FURRIES showed up but even they are treated well by the people there. What I like the most about going there is that many of the people there seem like pretty cool and nice people.

What I ended up purchasing was some Japanese candy and a few DVD's, as they would be impossible to get unless I order them online and I rarely order movies online. I stayed there a good amount of time and maybe I would have been there longer but I was exhausted from all the walking around I did so after I had an overpriced dinner there I returned home. It was in a different building this time and it was roomier; I know some who did not go this year as last year they thought it was too crowded, which was not something I thought myself. Among the guests there on this day (others only appeared during the weekend) by far the most popular was Norman Reedus. I've never watched The Walking Dead and from what I hear the show isn't for me anyway but I know it's massively popular so I expected him to be massively popular. I had a good time 

Let me get back to talking about things chronologically. Monday the 6th; on that night I returned to a place I like going to (Hurricane Grill & Wings) to have some late night food, consume some beverages and watch the final college basketball game of the season between the mostly hated Duke Blue Devils and the Wisconsin Badgers. Wisconsin hadn't even been in that final game to determine who wins the championship since 1941, so between that and me knowing at least a few Badger fans, I was hoping they'd get the win. Unfortunately despite losing for a good amount of the game Duke just played better at the end and they won. The atmosphere at the restaurant was real relaxed: not a lot of people were even there and it only looked like a few were even watching it along with me and there was little in the way of cheering. I was fine with that and not being a rowdy crowd as it meant not likely having to deal with meatheads either. Well, getting back home I saw the expected, the crutch of people blaming the officiating. I don't want to be rude to the people I know who I saw do this, so let me explain... there was a call which wasn't so hot and there was no real excuse for them blowing it but it was more the Badgers play down the stretch than anything else that caused them to lose.

Tuesday through Thursday were rather dull. The only main thing of note is that I drank a limited edition flavor from Sprite known as Lebron's Mix. I understand it came out last year for a short amount of time; I had no clue this was even a thing; a few weeks ago was the first time I ever had heard of it. It's Sprite with some additional flavors. It was fine. Note that my drinking it is not an endorsement of Lebron James; I've never been a fan of his and after the whole drama queen thing of him leaving for Miami then a few years later returning to Cleveland... I think he sucks!

The weekend, I didn't do much at all. I thought of doing something fancy on Saturday but I was still recovering from Friday so that went out the window and I just randomly went to a few places during the evening; it was nothing fancy and while it did not go as planned it was still fine. When I return a week from today, I do not have too much planned yet but while it won't be as exciting as going to a huge convention I should hopefully have a good time nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment