Monday, August 18, 2014

Robin Williams, Mountain Dew Solar Flare, & German Restaurants

Here's a recap of what I've done in the past week and it's had some interesting moments. Last Monday I decided I really needed a haircut and this was a good day to do it so that's what I did. Nothing interesting to say there. Then, the evening hit and I heard the news about Robin Williams... due to my age of course I've seen more than a few of his movies in my life; I actually remember watching reruns of Mork & Mindy when I was really young. So, I was saddened by the news and especially how the death happened.

Tuesday, I needed to renew my annual pass at Walt Disney World so that's what I did. I went to the Animal Kingdom in particular; I figured it'd be busy there and I was correct. That's OK as at least I was still able to walk around and see some animals. I got exercise and while I could have done without the oppressive heat and humidity, it otherwise was a nice way to spend a few hours.

Wednesday, that was a day of ups and downs. Despite the downs and such things as tailgating drivers and other idiocy, this day turned out fine overall. I went to Lakeland to do a few things. On the way there I stopped at a 7-11 to get a Mountain Dew Solar Flare soda as they only sell it there, and in fountain drink form. It's tropical punch flavored and it's good.

As I really enjoy the restaurant known as PDQ, I went there to eat dinner and as always I enjoyed the food; I had it with a Cap'n Crunch Berries shake and yes I enjoyed that too. I then went to an outdoor mall that's nearby & I discovered they now have a Rocket Fizz store; that's the gourmet soda joint I like visiting due to all the odd pops they have; I killed time there and I did make a purchase; I enjoyed being there too. I then did something that wasn't so enjoyable and that was my experience at the Silver Moon Drive-In in Lakeland, which I've been to a decent number of times before and while I've gotten annoyed with other customers there I've never had a problem with how the place was run, until this day.

I went there to see Guardians of the Galaxy then Into the Storm; neither I need to see right away and I can wait until DVD (I know it's not a popular opinion but comic books and comic book movies aren't really for me, I've come to realize) to see them; as a drive-in is cheap I figured that'd be a nice way to see both. Well, I got there like an hour before that double bill starts (they have two screens there; the other was showing two other films but it started at around the same time) as I figured they'd be open and I'd have plenty of time to relax. I had nothing else to do at the mall so I thought this'd be fine. Oh no.

I got there and there was a lineup of cars in front of the entrance where you pay to get in; everyone was stopped and in fact some were out of their cars; were they opening the box office later? Did something happen that delayed the opening? Was there something else going on? Who knows! There sure as heck wasn't any sign up or any employee around to explain what the situation was so I got annoyed and I decided to turn around and go home. The day was exciting enough it was OK not to see those films. It likely will be a long while before I decide to go back there if that's how they treat their customers.

Thursday and Friday I did not do a thing; I was fine with that. Saturday, I did something that's now a yearly tradition around this time of year and that's attend a birthday celebration for someone I know; that get-together is held at a German restaurant in the city of Sanford; at least a dozen people show up and it's all a good time. The party last year was canceled due to circumstances beyond anyone's control so it was nice to see all those people after all of that time. Considering my heritage it's horrible to say that I don't care for most German food but it's true; I did have dessert there, though. The triple chocolate cheesecake was as good as it sounds. I ate dinner before I got to the restaurant.

Considering that on Saturday I had to deal with atrocious traffic and way too many idiots on the highway I was happy to stay in and do nothing on Sunday. When I do my next blog a week from today, I'll be doing my share of driving too so I am hoping for traffic that isn't as awful; I do have a few things planned already so it should be a good blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment