Monday, January 20, 2014

Thelonious Monk, Rod Stewart, John Travolta & Todd Rundgren

If you're wondering how I came up with that grouping of artists, on Spotify I discovered a CD put out by a UK label which contained seven songs from the legendary jazz artist Monk, one each from Rod, John and Todd, and there's also War's Low Rider and a 70's song from most famous in the 60's band Gerry & The Pacemakers. What a bizarre CD all around. The album is titled The Best of Setco Vol 51.

This past Monday, soon after I posted my last blog I went on a little journey. I decided to go to Lakeland, about an hour south from where I live. A brand new Cinemark Theatres opened up by the big mall in town just a few days earlier, and it was billed as “NextGen”, meaning all the screens are pretty nice and are matched with bitchin' sound systems, and the joint looks pretty nice overall. I enjoyed it and if only it was closer to home... by the way, if you heard about the shooting at the movie theatre in Wesley Chapel, that town outside of Tampa is only about 60 miles from where I live. I haven't been to that theatre before but I've heard of it. I hate how many people act in auditoriums, but shooting and killing someone for being a dumbass and texting during the previews... that is crossing the line.

The movie I saw was the newest Paranormal Activity film. The last one was pretty bad, and I had enjoyed all the ones before that. The new one is different and it was a breath of fresh air to the franchise. Before that I walked around the mall and it's pretty nice and unlike most enclosed malls these days, most of their lots are filled instead of vacant.

After that I went a little south and for only the second time I went to the rad fast food place known as PDQ. I talked about being there a few months ago when I was in South Tampa. The place is great and if one was closer to Clermont I'd be there often. It's mainly a chicken joint and their food is great. I had their chicken fingers & fries and as it was limited edition, a mint oreo shake. A great meal it was.

Tuesday was nothing happening and Wednesday... well, it wasn't a great day overall. I won't get into the details as it was nothing major; it was just some little things, like me being annoyed with people in general. I had to go to Walmart to get some items and the people there... they did not help improve my mood.

Thursday, I decided to try out my newly acquired debit card I got from my new bank. I went to one of their ATM's and I withdrew 10 bucks. It worked fine so that was good. On the way back I stopped by somewhere to get a treat. It was the Abracadabra Ice Cream Shop, a place I've talked about a few times before in the past. They make liquid nitrogen ice cream which may sound weird but it's actually pretty tasty. If only most of the other people in the shop on this chilly night weren't complete cretins! At least the peanut butter treat I had was real good. I just had to finish it at home.

Friday and Saturday I did not do anything; it was chilly out (especially on Saturday) so why go out, you know? I just stayed in and relaxed. Sunday was an interesting day for me. I actually went out, for one, and I returned to some spots I hadn't been to for a few months. I returned to Winter Park and first I stopped to get gas at a Wawa. Then, I went to get more soda from the wacky gourmet soda shop known as Rocket Fizz. That's indeed what I did. It was busy there so I did not shop for too long. I still got a decent amount. After that I returned to an Ale House, the mainly Florida chain of restaurants. It was a packed house; it was the pro football conference championships, so the winners of those two games would play in the Super Bowl in 13 days.

I found the last open spot at the bar, and it was right by some random woman... she looked to be slightly older than me and I must presume she is a fan of crowds, as she only drank water at the bar... and always on the countertop was a Portuguese Bible! No kidding. I did chat with that lady; no it wasn't one of those things and I won't reveal what was said, but I did not ask her why she was there. Yet another thing that I swear could only happen to me. That poor woman, by the way: the team she was rooting for got dominated and lost. That was the highlight of my day.

Today, I already did the one big event of the day: I picked up my new glasses. As always it'll take some time to get used to the new prescription but overall I dig them. I'll be back a week from today. I have nothing on the agenda... yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment