Monday, January 13, 2014

Evolve Wrestling, Polar Vortexes & Calling Dr. Love

Here's what I've done since last Monday. Last Monday night I sort of paid attention to the major college football championship, which was actually a competitive and interesting game. I still don't care too much for major college sports due to how dirty and corrupt and money-grubbing it is but the game was nice. Tuesday the only thing I did was go into town to pick up Papa John's Pizza. I did not feel like doing more given that the high temperature was only in the mid 40's. I'll blame it on the greatly named Polar Vortex. I say that and I know I shouldn't complain given the weather other people across the country had to experience, which was dangerously low temperatures.

Wednesday I had to do an adult thing. I mentioned recently how I am not a member of a certain bank anymore due to them closing their branch in town and the closest one takes like a 20 minute drive to get to. I looked at a few different banks still in town and there was one which offered the best deal for me. I won't list which bank it is; I've had identity theft issues way back in late '09 and early '10 and I won't take any chances there. Although, as the banker looked up my credit score it was good so that was a relief that those issues don't haunt me today.

Thursday, I did something I haven't done in way too long: get an eye exam. Believe it or not I hadn't had an eye exam since September of 2003 back when I went to school at Illinois State University and one afternoon I had an exam at the Lenscrafters in Normal, Illinois. It was long overdue so I finally had the exam at the Lenscrafters in Winter Garden. The whole process went fine... except for having my eyes dilated. I have real sensitive eyes so that was not a pleasant experience. It took longer than usual but I finally was able to get through it and it may be the last time I ever get them dilated.

After that, the prescription had to be “slightly sharpened” so I had to pick out new frames, and that was quite wacky. A guy who at least I know was metrosexual and I suspect was homosexual assisted me with that, and also there at the time was an older police officer, a pair of old lesbians, and a MILF. All of this is true. Oh, and the lady doctor who examined my eyes... her name was DOCTOR LOVE. This greatly amused me as I was reminded of the awesome KISS song Calling Dr. Love. In a week or so I'll get the new frames and prescription. It was sorely needed as the ones I have now are just old, dirty, and now starting to get scratched up.

Friday I did not do a darn thing so let me skip ahead to Saturday, where in some ways it was like a blast from the past. I realized that it's been a long while since I've last attended a pro wrestling show. I figured I should on this night. It was an event presented by a mainly Northeastern wrestling organization known as Evolve Wrestling and the show had quite a few people I rarely if ever see. When I got there, the parking lot was full and there was no obvious auxiliary parking; I decided to park in a paid lot downtown and I had to hike on over to the building. It's not like I didn't need the exercise so I won't complain.

It was nice to see some people I haven't chatted with in person in months. It was a nice crowd there too. As for the show, I understand how some would complain about how it's over the top in that many brutal and devastating moves are delivered and yet people kept not getting pinned despite being the victim of many brutal and devastating moves. I know some don't care for it and I wouldn't want to watch such things all the time, but once in awhile it's cool and everyone should appreciate how well the wrestlers do such moves and there are plenty of intricate sequences that were done and done well. It was a quality time and it was nice to go to a show, as back in the past I went to them often then various things happened and I fell out of the habit.

After that, as I was still downtown I figured I should return to Ghost Bar & Lounge. It was different this time. From what I understand, every Saturday night from now on it'll be all wacky and it will be like a real sanitized version of a rave; it's dark except for blacklights and they handed out light-up crap like glowsticks and the like, accompanied by blasting pulsating dance or rap music. For a few minutes there was even a tiny lady who did a routine with glowing hula hoops and it was rad. I don't have much to say about my actual time there otherwise, except that it was pretty busy there so it's a successful gimmick.

On the way back to the vehicle I walked by a Jimmy John's sub shop so I stopped there for a quick bite to eat. I was amused to see a really drunk dude almost literally be carried to a seat outside by his pals; several police officers saw this and I thought it was certain this wasted guy would get arrested for public drunkenness but his friends were able to convince the po-po that he was fine and they would take care of him... which they did. They got him a bottle of water. I shudder to think what would have happened to the bro if he did not have his buddies around.

Sunday I remained at home and did nothing except pay some attention to the pro football games. As almost always, I'll be back a week from today. I have some things in mind for what to do so it shouldn't be too dull of a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment