Monday, February 4, 2013

The Blog Where I Don't Give A Damn About Punxsutawney Phil

I'll be honest, I always thought that the whole Groundhog Day thing made zero sense and was highly stupid. I have no idea if the groundhog “saw his shadow” on Saturday or not and I could not care less about trying to look it up. Then again, I am the guy who has never understood the appeal of Animal Planet's Puppy Bowl at all, and I am a dog lover. Puppies doing puppy things on a fake football field and them trying to be “funny” about everything... no thank you. Then again, I am a guy who I swear, I sometimes am like Rihanna taking back Chris Brown!

As for what I did last week, at least there is a little more to write about than the last one, at least. The week itself before the weekend, not action-packed. On Monday I did go to the local Sweetbay Supermarket in town; I heard while channel-surfing and coming across the news (i.e. I rarely watch the news, in other words) that various locations of that grocery chain were closing down, including the one in town. I was sad, as while I went to the local Publix more often, the place that was Kash & Karry before they got bought out by Sweetbay was pretty cool and nice as something different. Leave the memories alone! I mean, I had gone to it for like the past 9 years and probably by now they are closed.

Other than that, once again I wasn't too exciting. I stayed around Clermont and I doubt people want to hear about me going to the local WalMart or the fast food joints I visited like KFC. I did go out and see a pair of movies at the local Epic Theatres in town... Django Unchained and The Last Stand. Both were quality entertainment in different ways. Django (the D is silent) is a hit from Tarantino; not all of his movies are hits to me; I know, controversial but that is how I feel. The Last Stand I am sad is a box office bomb. It's a goofy big action movie but it's a blast to watch, with bloody action, funny and entertaining characters (even Johnny Knoxville and his odd character are fine), and yeah, I am fine with the cast having several hot brunette ladies. Anyhow, let me talk about the weekend, which was even more eventful than I expected.

Saturday, there was the latest UFC pay per view, and on paper it was looking to be pretty good. Turns out, it was. I went to the Buffalo Wild Wings to see it. Yes, that place has enraged me too many times, and I've noted my anger on Twitter. But, it is a few miles away from where I live and they have big TV's so like a battered wife... I went back there. I went inside rather than my usual spot sitting on the outside patio. While I don't get why they've always had a problem in figuring out what programing should be on which TV's (apparently, a college huge basketball game between the number one team in the country playing at the number three team... not really a big deal) but the night wasn't too eventful. The event overall was pretty good, with some thankful upsets happenings. The female bartender was new to me, and interestingly enough, looks-wise she resembled Linda Blair from The Exorcist II; what a howlingly bad movie that is, but if you've ever seen it, it doesn't take too long to figure out that it was an entirely braless performance from Ms. Blair; this bartender, she had on all undergarments.

Sunday... it was going down the road of being pretty bad but by the end things ended up working out OK. I did not want to go back to Buffalo Wild Wings to see it but I did not feel like driving far either, because I've been lame like that for much of 2013 so far. I decided to go to a place that started off in Tampa but then spread to various places across the state and even when they opened one up in my town of Clermont, I did not go to the greatly named WORLD OF BEER until last night. I went there to watch the big game. In hindsight, maybe I should have taken a longer drive and waited for another day to check it out. I do not know why they thought, “Oh no, let's keep the jukebox on and let's not have any game audio at all”, but at first I was not a happy camper. Then, I realized that I was not really looking forward to hearing the big ads, as in the past few years they haven't been great aside from the usually funny beer ones. This year... they looked pretty horrid, the worst in a long while, and there was hardly any funny beer commercials at all. Of course I can watch and hear all of them online at places like YouTube, but I have only checked out a few as the rest of them aren't even worth listening to. Fast 6 looks even more preposterous than the 5th one, and I am saying that in a good way.

I also did not need to hear Alicia Keys and her “it's all about me!” version of the Star Spangled Banner; I was mad when I heard that she was going to do it “like it's a new song”, because really you want to mess around with the National Anthem... I heard parts of it via YouTube video and yeah I was thankful I did not hear it in full or hear it live. The same goes with the Beyonce halftime show. The theatrics looked nice and all, but afterwards on YouTube I could only listen to a small part of her vocal performance; I never thought she was a good singer at all and that was especially true from what I heard; yet, of course many people thought it was “awesome”. Sigh. Thankfully, there was a lady bartender who ended up being pretty awesome. She looked and sounded like a blonde Anna Faris (not a bad thing) and durng the halftime show she told a dude by me that she thought the Black Eyed Peas performance from two Super Bowl's ago was atrocious due to the laughably bad non-doctored version of Fergie's singing voice (definitely true; that was horrid; come to think of it, Madonna last year wasn't bad at all) and she wasn't a Beyonce fan either. A lady after my own heart! She was busy so I wasn't able to chit-chat with her much but maybe if I see her again I'd say that her musical tastes are awesome.

The game... always interesting. Baltimore vs. San Francisco was Baltimore getting out to a big lead, then there was an unprecedented 34 minute long situation when half of the stadium lights went out (epic fail) and that resulted in many great Twitter comments and jokes. Once the game started back up San Francisco came back-cue the nutty irrational conspiracy theorists-and the final score ended up being 34-31, with Baltimore winning.

The gimmick of World of Beer is that they offer a tremendous variety of brewskis, from all over the planet. What I had during the span of a few hours (don't worry I was fine to drive home):

Baltika Zhiguljovskoje from Russia. I have no idea how to pronounce the last part of that; neither does any bartender.
Canada's Moosehead
Tusker from Kenya
Karlovacko from Croatia
Banks from Barbados
Golden Pheasant from Slovakia

Overall, all of them at least tasted fine and it was nice to be a world traveler and drink something else besides swill like Budweiser or Coors Light.

I am glad my time there turned out quite a bit better than I thought early on. I'll be back a week from today and nothing is planned yet; I'll try to venture out of a small radius and go to some different places.

No comments:

Post a Comment