Monday, February 11, 2013

Fancy Car Shows, Birthday Dinners, & Thrift Shop

No, not MY birthday of course (that isn't until Friday the 22nd) but I'll explain what I'm referring to in a moment. Now, I'll refer to what I mean by “Thrift Shop”. Last night someone I know on Facebook mentioned there was a song out called Thrift Shop and he said it was all-time terrible and the singer was “a cracker-ass”. I had no idea what that was so I looked on YouTube and I watched the video to the song; it's by some jokers known as Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. OH MY GOD, that is one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my lifetime. It's a goofy joke “song” about shopping at thrift shops and it's unspeakably bad. After that, I discovered that this act is actually popular! I was so happy when I did not know about this act. Yes I did look online to listen to some of their other songs, and they are not as novelty crappy, sure, but they are still horrible; the choade-looking white guy who raps... he actually can't rap! The realization that Thrift Shop is now number one on the Billboard Charts... all I can do is shake my head, sigh, and be glad I mainly listen to older songs and when I listen to newer things it's almost always in the electronica field. But on a happier note...

This past week thankfully had a few interesting things for me to talk about. Monday was dull, Tuesday I went to Winter Garden Village for a little shopping, Wednesday was boring, and so was Friday. Thursday, however, I had free time in the evening so I went to the Mall at Millenia to spend more than a few minutes in it for the first time in months. I walked around for a bit to see what was new, and as I figured, it's not a place that changes a whole lot but I did see that the FYE store was no more. It was nice to walk around in there and see what they had on sale, but given the prices FYE usually charges, no shocker to me that most of their stores have closed down in the past few years.

After that I went to a new restaurant that opened in the area recently but I had even at one of their locations in Lakeland a few months ago. It was Burger 21, a burger bar sort of joint where they have some other items besides the obvious and they also make milkshakes. That place is pretty cool. Sure, it would have been nice to have the employees there not be idiots (I am not referring to the dame who made the milkshakes) but they didn't screw up my order and they did provide much comedy in the utter confusion and clusterfuckery (excuse my French) that happened when they tried to figure out an order of French fries and whether or not the customer was actually supposed to receive it. I had the chicken fingers and fries, along with a peanut butter chocolate shake, which was great, great stuff.

My Sunday was not what you'd call eventful*, so the rest of this is me discussing the Saturday I had. Several noteworthy things happened, including yet another one of those moments that I swear could happen only to me. In the early afternoon I went up to the Lake Mary area; I believe it was in '11 I went up there on a Saturday in early February to attend a free charity event where many fancy expensive cars are displayed, from Ferraris to Porsches, Bentleys to Rolls Royces. Pretty nice. It was more of the same this time around; pretty cool. Sure, I could have done without the horrific traffic that was filled with cretins and clowns, but that only reminds me why it's probably a good thing I don't do as much driving as I did in the past. After that I went to the Altamonte Mall for a bit; more on that later. Dinner, me and my mom went to dinner at Splitsville, a place I talked about a few times last month. It was her birthday on this day; the meal and experience went well.

* I sure as heck did not watch the alleged music awards show on this night, which for years now is actually a bunch of musical performances with the awards a complete afterthought; they have ALWAYS gotten it wrong (look it up, it's true) and to be honest, I don't give a damn about most modern musical acts these days so what's the point in trying to watch that insufferable production?

I had a “This can only happen to me” moment at the Altamonte Mall. I was in their Gamestop for a bit to look at what games they had. I did not make any purchases but I did get a strange request. A girl who looked no older than about 14 came up to me and asked if I was a gamer or not; I was puzzled, as did I look like a gamer? Did she need gaming advice? Was she making a pass at me? I asked why she was asking such a question. Turns out, she needed to find a game that started with the letter Q; I don't think there are too many of those out there. Luckily for me, I happened to be right by the game Quake 4. She took a picture of it with her phone... then she left. Don't ask how I know this but I have indeed heard that some young types do scavenger hunts in their local malls, for birthday parties and what have you. No kidding. This was confirmed when other people came in and asked an employee the same question. If I did not know such trivia, I'd have no damn idea what was going on! I'd feel like I was in some Bizarro World.

Not much is planned for the upcoming week... yes, I do realize I say this all the time, but it's not like I like when I say it, and I am not lying this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment