Monday, December 10, 2012

The Blog Where I'm Simply Having A Wonderful Christmastime

Yep, I am referencing the Paul McCartney song that many people seem to loathe. Last week I was walking around the neighborhood and a car passed by blasting that song. Not surprisingly the car was a newish Mercedes and the driver was a middle-aged white guy.

Here's what I've done since I last posted my blog on the last day of November. That day I didn't do anything, but the next day I did go back to Winter Garden Village to visit some other stores (including World Market) and I did get some random items. Sunday, I finally returned to Friendly Confines to watch the Chicago Bears play. The drive there and back was the usual... meaning, plenty of terrible Florida traffic! Yeah I did get mad at it, as usual. Hell, I even saw a near-accident in the parking lot as some dumbass pulled out without looking and almost hit TWO moving cars. Good one, Troglodyte. Unfortunately, there was no shortage of Trogs there on this day... and they were mainly Bears fans. Do you need to yell stupid worthless comments at the game after %nearly every single play%? Some people think that you do, and I quickly got irritated with it. To make me feel better I had some beer and that's quite rare for my afternoons there. They had some that were discounted as they want to get rid of it so I took advantage of that.

The alcohol helped me deal with the people there and the game itself. Chicago ended up losing to Seattle; I wouldn't be too mad about it as Seattle is quite good, but the last two Seattle drives that caused them to win, the Bears D was real bad and that was disappointing. At least the Bears had some good moments themselves. Also, a former employee was there visiting. She worked there when I first started going to FC and I hadn't seen her in like a few years. At least I got to briefly chat with that nice young lady.

Sunday night it was determined that due to how things turned out, Northern Illinois University (from a smaller conference) got a big bowl bid and on January 1st they'll be playing a big college football game in Miami against Florida State University. Boy I got pretty tired pretty quick of so many people whining and bitching about how NIU shouldn't be there, especially from that loathsome Troglodyte network known as ESPN; I even got that crap from some people I know on Facebook. I'd much rather see an underdog play in one of those big bowl games (which has happened a few times before) personally and I've always thought that way. I am not sticking up for NIU just because I grew up 30 miles north of the campus or I know quite a few people that went to college there.

Monday I had to go up to Leesburg. It was related to the crash last month but don't worry it wasn't a big deal and now I can fully put that behind me. I also stopped by the city's Lake Square Mall, a joint that is less than happening, to say the least. At least I stopped by a smoothie place in the mall and I got the treat known as the Peaches & Cream Delight, an appropriate name for sure.

I did nothing Tuesday and Wednesday so let me skip ahead to Thursday. I had free time so I went to Universial Studios, Citywalk in particular. I ate at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville as it's been too long since I've been there. Their cheeseburgers (in paradise) are as great as ever so let me mention what alcoholic beverage I had; it was known as Shipwrecked and it was basically a mango-flavored drink along with some other fruits. Very good. I then went to their AMC Theatres and I watched Skyfall again, this time on their IMAX screen. Yep, the movie is still real good. The alcoholic beverage I had at their bar was a holiday-themed beverage known as the Peppermint Shake; it had vanilla ice cream and peppermint schnapps, among other things. Needless to say I thought that was quite tasty.

Friday and Saturday were dull so let me skip ahead to yesterday. I went to the good old Friendly Confines to watch the Chicago Bears play at the Minnesota Vikings. There was a big snowstorm going on in Minneapolis so thankfully the game was in a dome stadium... one I was in back in the mid 90's to see a college football game. I wouldn't mind going back to the Twin Cities... if nothing else to visit the Mall of America again. Anyhow, the Bears played like crap and lost 21-14 in a game that wasn't as close as the score says it was. That was disappointing.

So was how too many of my fellow Bears fans acted. Real immature and dumb. Some of the dumb ones even argued with each other over things too asinine to even bring up here. And there were other meatheads there too... sigh. At least the food there was as good as usual and other games were going on, a few of which ended up being pretty exciting. But I tell you, some of those people there, I wonder when it was last that they showered or laundered the clothing they had on. There were some pungent odors going on, including from one guy who briefly sat by me. I swear his stench singed my nose hairs! Despite all the complaints it was nice being there and enjoying the atmosphere, even if I wish there was less stupidity there. I am disappointed with how the Bears are playing, sure, but I have seen FAR worse Chicago teams in my lifetime, for sure.

I'll be back a week from today. I could be doing some real exciting things but nothing is set in stone quite yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment