Monday, December 17, 2012

Ravishing Rick Rude, Mongoloids, & The Miami Connection

Here's what I've done since last Monday. That day itself was rather dull; the only thing of note was that I got a much-needed haircut and the joint was dead when I got there so I got it done real quick. Tuesday and Wednesday were dull, except that Wednesday night I did watch parts of that almost 6 hour concert from New York City for Hurricane Sandy relief. I happily made fun of Kanye West's performance as it's Kanye West and he's a loathsome and horrible human being all around. Thankfully, many people on Twitter agreed, where I made comments and retweeted funny statements I came across.

Thursday, in the evening I went with someone I know to IHOP for dinner, as hey why not and plus the last time we were there, groovy 70's music was playing. This time it was oldies and I was happy with that as it reminded me of listening to the oldies station as a kid. Good times. The chicken & waffles was also good times.

Unfortunately, due to the accident I was involved with last month, for awhile at least don't expect me to drive any lengthy distances. Thus, I unfortunately was not able to see a wrestling tournament that has happened each year since '03 known as the Jeff Peterson Memorial Cup, a 2 day tournament involving 16 wrestlers. It is named after a late wrestler who passed away at the age of 21 due to leukemia. I had seen all of them live since '04 (and I saw '03 on DVD) and it's always a great weekend filled with local wrestlers and guys from all across the country coming in. There's plenty of quality wrestling seen and there have been some incredible matches throughout the years. This is also the last JPMC they're ever doing, for various reasons. I really was gutted to not be able to go to it. Sigh. It was in Ybor City and at least at this time it's too far away. It was actually in the same club that I saw the women's wrestling show back in October. You know, the joint which charge eight bucks for a big cup of PBR (still pretty ridiculous, I say).

Anyhow, I wish I could have been there as I definitely have enjoyed those weekends... even the one in '07 that Jared David St. Laurent's toadies tried to ruin with rude comments and even trying to blind me by shining a laser pointer in my eyes! True story. I did not mention that in full anywhere online as I did not want to give them the satisfaction. But that is enough about about a bunch of mongoloids I haven't given a damn about in a long time but I presume they're still the same terrible people that they were years ago (which is a reason why I feuded with them, because they deserved to have their true colors shown).

To get back to a more pleasant subject (and because of that I won't go into detail on that horrifying thing which happened Friday morning up in Connecticut), Friday night I spent watching the UFC event; it was on Fuel TV and then FX and it was live from Australia (it was Saturday morning then afternoon there) and while it was not an event of big star names, it was a quality show as it had plenty of entertaining fights. I only saw parts of Saturday night's UFC on FX show as I had to go to a movie theatre for a special screening. It was of a bad movie from the 80's that a company found a print of and screenings were greatly received so it went on tour, and finally it came to Orlando. It was appropriate, as despite its title most of it takes place and was filmed in Orlando. I am talking about Miami Connection, a hilariously awful film about a rock band of Taekwondo practitioners who do battle with ninjas that ride on bikes, along with drug-dealing bikers. Yep. I saw it on YouTube when someone uploaded it a few months ago (but shhh on that; it was taken down) and I did a review for it on my movie reviews blog; the particular review is at: http://blairreviewsmovies.blogspot.com/2012/09/miami-connection.html

I was happy to see it on the big screen. I know that some already have a backlash against it. Yeah, I agree that there are funnier and shittier bad movies out there and if they got this treatment crowds would likely also go bananas for it, but I don't know why some want to slag it for being overrated as a bad movie experience, but oh well. Of course some people I know who are huge bad movie fans are amongst that crowd... shrugs shoulders. I got there and had drinks at the patio bar they have at The Enzian (the arthouse place I've mentioned a number of times before; they had couches and fancy chairs and tables and food gets brought to you. I then waited in line to get in. Turns out, some of the film's stars were there; it was Grandmaster Y.K. Kim (a legit master at Taekwondo; he runs Martial Arts World in Orlando, and in fact a van load of his students were there to watch the film), the guy in the film that looks like Oates from Hall & Oates (or Ravishing Rick Rude; more on this late 80's wrestler later) and the black guy in the movie. They spoke for a bit before the screening. Then, everyone watched that funny bad movie and it was a grand old time. There was much cheering and laughter. Afterwards, Kim signed posters for free and of course I got one.

Sunday, it was off to Friendly Confines to watch the Chicago Bears play against their hated rivals, the Green Bay Packers. Considering how riddled the Bears have been by injuries by this point, I wasn't expecting much and indeed they lost 21-13. There were some questionable calls from the referees-and I usually don't complain about that stuff like most sports fans do-but even if they were perfect, the Packers still would have won. I am certain of that; they just played obviously better than Chicago. The Bears fans there acted like mongoloids (to use a term I saw someone I know use on Twitter yesterday) but enough about those annoying people. Even the people I sat by who were obvious bros (one kept on calling the other “brah”; yep, brotastic!) weren't as annoying. I did laugh in the game when after a sack, a Packers player impersonated Ravishing Rick Rude; you know, if you remember him from the good old days of pro wrestling, he would swivel his hips; well, that's what that player did and it was amazing. After that I stopped by Total Wine & More for a bit and I got some random things before returning home.

I'll be back a week from today; not much is planned yet but as always I should have something interesting to write about; hopefully not a lot of it will be complaining, but that unfortunately tends to happen when you live in The Sunshine State.

No comments:

Post a Comment