Monday, November 13, 2017

Murder on the Orient Express, Bears Football & Other Mysteries

A week of ups and downs, this was. Monday night the 6th, I went with someone to the local Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant. Wednesday I did nothing of note but Tuesday I went to a place for the first time. First I stopped at Disney Springs for a bit and I was looking for something but it could not be found. While there I found out about that great baseball pitcher Roy Halladay dying in a plane crash. I was sad as I remember him pitching and heck, he was only a few years older than me. Anyhow, Orlando and the suburbs have a few giant open-air outlet malls; I went to one I hadn't visited before, as it isn't in the most convenient location for me. Well, I should go there more often; their lineup of stores isn't too different from the norm but I had a burrito at a random Chipotle clone-it was good-I had dessert and right before I left I purchased a healthy drink consisting of water, ice, and fresh squeezed orange & lemon juice. It was good. Oh, and the main thing I bought was a new pair of jeans.

Thursday, I went and saw Murder on the Orient Express. The previous night I saw the 1974 version starring Albert Finney; it wasn't subtle but still, it was very good. This new version, it isn't any better than fine, although I heard that was the general opinion even before I viewed it. As for that day... it was not great overall. I won't go into too many details, except that it was such things as hellacious traffic and problems at the cineplex I went to. Let's see, there was 3 cop cars outside afterwards interviewing a few people about something (thank goodness it wasn't a situation where I had to stick around, but I wish I knew what it was about) and during the screening, there were issues with the trailers... there was a few minute delay before they started and some things played twice. 

I guess I shouldn't complain since there was only a minor hiccup during the film itself and otherwise it played fine but as there are literally a few dozen different theatres in like a 75 mile radius of me (just 50 or so miles there's still plenty) there's no shortage of options for me to go before I ever think of frequenting them ever again. It wasn't all bad... beforehand I ate at a local eatery and the main highlight there was some garlic knots; it was a wise choice on my part.

Friday and Saturday I did nothing; Sunday I thought about going somewhere to see the Chicago Bears play against their hated rivals the Green Bay Packers; Green Bay's star quarterback is injured and the Packers had been bad since then, so while the game may be a travesty in terms of aesthetics, Chicago could actually win. Well, I got a poor night's sleep so I stayed in and tried to catch up on sleep. What I saw of the game, I would not have been happy if I had gone out to see it in full. The Bears lost because they did some really stupid things; I don't even feel like going into details. I'd say it's a mystery why Chicago is so disappointing, but really it's not. In the evening I did go to McDonald's to try their new buttermilk chicken tenders. I remember the days when they had regular chicken tenders for a short amount of time, and those were only alright. Well, so is this new good. I guess I am spoiled by such things as sit down restaurants and the local Florida chain PDQ.

I actually do have plans for the upcoming week so when I return I should have more engrossing topics to discuss than fast food and lousy movie theatres. 

No comments:

Post a Comment