Monday, November 27, 2017

Auto Shows, Planet Rock, The Message, & College Basketball Tournaments

Thank heavens this past week was less chaotic and stressful than the one I had preceding this. Monday the only thing I did was go to Walgreens to pick up some random items, and Tuesday was boring. Wednesday evening, I went to CityWalk at Universal Studios as I hadn't been there in a few months. Traffic was pretty rough there and back, but then again that has seemingly been the case for all of November. CityWalk was largely the same as usual; I went to the NBC Sports Grill & Brew as I liked it there. I had a drink... or two as I watched random sports on TV. The next time I am there I'll get something to eat, likely as a late dinner.

Thanksgiving, that went fine; as always I have the big meal with some family so I can't complain. Friday, I did my typical day after Thanksgiving tradition. No, I don't experience the hoards of lunatics who are trying to score a deal on Black Friday; instead I attend the Central Florida International Auto Show at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando. Each year, many different manufacturers bring many if not all of their models on display, plenty of which you can look at up close, as in enter the vehicles to sit in them. It's nice seeing what's there, including new and refreshed models. It's always nice seeing such sweet rides as a Mustang and a Corvette right in front of you. The best thing you could see so close (but not enter) was two different Aston Martin DB11's, new models and as it's Aston Martin, they looked incredible. Of course you had ogres paw all over it when you weren't supposed to and seeing greasy handprints all over such beautiful quarter of a million dollar cars was disheartening. At least they had the Acura NSX there for everyone to sit in. As it's a snazzy vehicle and the original NSX from the past is a cult favorite, no surprise that got a lot of attention. In person, it made me wish I had an extra $200,000 or so in spare change so I could own one.

Saturday I did nothing after that tiring Friday, but Sunday I went somewhere for the first time. No, it was not to see the Chicago Bears play. I had no reason to see them as they were against the best team in the NFL in the Philadelphia Eagles. From what I heard, Chicago looked even worse than usual as they lost 31-3. Instead, I returned to Disney. Each year Walt Disney World holds a 8 team college basketball tournament on its grounds at what is known now as the ESPN Wide World of Sports area, which is a large complex that holds a plentiful amount of amateur events involving both kids and adults. They have an intimate arena I hadn't been in before but it holds a few thousand people, and that is where the former Old Spice Classic (now Advocare Invitational) is held. I saw a pair of games: the 7th place game then the championship.

The first was Marist vs. Oregon State. Oregon State won by 19 points and it was an acceptable-enough contest. Business definitely picked up for Missouri vs. West Virginia. The fans who were there made plenty of noise; of course there were some cretins around (including one tool who wasn't too far from me, albeit for only the first half) but at a sporting event I expect to run into those drama queens so I was prepared for it. Then again, the event organizers not only had a condescending windbag act like a total D-bag a few times as he “interviewed” fans but at halftime of the second game there were a pair of WHITE RAPPERS and that was something I did not need to hear. Even then, I was glad I went to this event. The championship game was pretty exciting as West Virginia was losing big before making an improbable comeback and winning 83-79.

One last thing: I did hear some actual worthwhile music in the past week. At the auto show they had an area devoted to Jeeps driving around an obstacle course and I'll give props to the people that decided to associate Jeep with 70's and 80's R&B (and even Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five's The Message) as I thought that was dope. On the way home I was at a stoplight and someone was bumping.. the 80's rap song Planet Rock, which I also approved of. At the games they played some wacky remixes, including a throbbing dance version of... the Tetris theme!

I'll return a week from today and I know I'll have a few things to discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment