Monday, January 7, 2013

Mass Effect, Splitsville, & Rejects From The Jersey Shore

Here's what I've done the first few days of 2013. It hasn't been real exciting, believe me, although at least Saturday night provided something new to talk about. New Years Day I did not do anything besides play videogames (more on that later) and watch football. I did watch in the evening the Orange Bowl between big bad Florida State and the big underdog known as Northern Illinois University. I discussed it before but I was hoping NIU would do well as a lot of people gave them crap for stupid reasons and I did grow up not that far away from their campus. Well, the game was rather atrociously played by both teams; in fact the game itself was so bad I did not finish watching it as I figured playing the addicting as crack-filled donuts Mass Effect. The score was close until the fourth quarter, when Florida State opened the game wide open and they won by a comfortable margin. That whole deal was disappointing, mainly because the troglodyte haters were given an opportunity to crow about how NIU shouldn't have been in the game and all that crap.

Wednesday, I had free time and I needed to get out of the house so I went to the Florida Mall for the first time in a few months. That place was largely the same it's always been but I was able to go into the Microsoft Store; their goal was obviously to be better than an Apple store and well... it does look real fancy and there is a few areas to play Xbox360 games on a big screen. It's difficult to compare as it's really personal preference.

Thursday and Friday, totally uneventful. I mean, nothing to write about at all. So let me skip ahead to Saturday. I did not remember it until recently but back in December of '09 I went to Channelside in Tampa (it's a place I rarely go to) and I ate dinner there before going to St. Petersburg to Tropicana Field to watch a college bowlgame. The restaurant I ate at was Splitsville, a fancy bowling alley/restaurant/bar. It was a real cool place. Well, last month at Downtown Disney a two level version of Splitsville opened up but as it was during holiday season I figured it would be chaotic around that area and it would be wise to wait until things calmed down to check it out.

Turns out, it's a great place. It was still busy on Saturday night but I was able to get a seat at one of their bars. Besides 10 bowling alleys on the first floor, on the second they have like 20 additional lanes scattered all over amongst pool tables, bars, an area to dance, and this is amongst a mainly dance/pop soundtrack. Hearing a remix of Gangnam Style followed up by the Stones and Satisfaction... unique, but pretty cool. The food and drink wasn't cheap but I was not surprised by that, and not just because of where the restaurant was located at. It at least was good; I had my almost always of a burger and fries, and to drink I had a frozen tropical drink that they called Miami Vice; yes I chose it because of its name. They described it as a mix between a rumrunner and a pina colada (getting caught in the rain). I am glad it was a tasty drink. Sure, there were some loudmouths around but I tried to ignore them. Interestingly enough the candidates for a Jersey Shore 2 if they ever did one weren't the worst ones there. You know, tanned, buff-looking, ugly Ed Hardy shirts, gold chains, fancy watches, constantly using “bro”... talk about living up-or down-to stereotypes.

By the way, on the way there and on the way back I had issues with people pulling out in front of me or almost doing so, and both times I definitely used my horn to tell those drivers what I thought of their poor driving skills. Sunday I did not do anything so let me do some more plugging of the great game known as Mass Effect; I already mentioned in the past how it's awesome that the game gives you many different choices and you can import your save into the sequels so it's really one giant story; I also have to mention that besides the all the action you get involved with, there's also plenty of story and it's all good; there are also many chances for you to chat with the characters you team up with and you get to find out all their backstories and as it's sci-fi it allows for epic stories and it's all tremendous. I started the game originally and got partway in it but then realize I had been doing some things wrong so I started over and it's now all great. I haven't really felt like playing any other games, it's so addicting.

I'll be back a week from today. Not a whole lot is planned for the upcoming week but I am sure I'll be going out more than one night so that will provide entertainment for me to write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment