Monday, August 6, 2012

Marion Berry, New Kids On The Block, & Incredibly True Chinese Names

Here's a recap of what I've done since this past Monday. First, though, I should mention that when I went to Game Warp this past Saturday, there was a surprising amount of ladies there. Sure, some looked to be hipster girls but still, it was more than I expected and to be shallow, some of them were not bad-looking at all. Now, onto Monday... boredom personified. I did laugh that the latest episode of Perception, but in a good way. What a wacky and yet enjoyable show. I mean, Cary Elwes appeared as a guy dressed up as a World War II soldier. It was a one episode only deal but it was still something that made me chuckle.

Tuesday, I at least did something; I went to Winter Garden Village, looked around Barnes & Noble for a bit, then used up the last coupon I had for Planet Smoothie, then I went on over to World Market to look around for a few minutes, and I picked up not only the Australian licorice that is green apple flavored, but also a new flavor known as marionberry. No, not the crackhead Marion Berry, the former mayor of Washington D.C. Rather, it's a type of blackberry. It's a different taste but it's still not bad.

Wednesday, it was rather dull so let me skip ahead to Thursday. I managed to have enough free time to go out and about and I certainly had a more interesting time than I was expecting. I ended up going to the east side of Orlando as I usually don't make it out to near where UCF is. I decided to stop by the place I now consider as one of my favorite haunts, a MovieStop location. As I've said before that place is pretty awesome to go to if you're looking for something rather obscure and otherwise hard to find, and for usually a great price. It's also nice to turn in your used DVD's and Blu-Rays as that's what the majority of their product is, used movies.

I purchased some items from there then walked on over to the nearby Best Buy, where I purchased a pair of items. One of them was pretty manly in that it was the Blu-Ray of the A-Team movie. I've seen it twice already and it's wildly entertaining, yet I've only seen the theatrical rather than the unrated version, which I understand is quite different in some regards. Now that I have the Blu-Ray I will be able to watch that. I also purchased a not so many Blu-Ray... She's All That! Hey, it's to enjoy a nice reminder of how the late 90's were as the film is a blast to the past... OK, so there are other reasons why I got it. But at least I was not the guy in there with the most questionable taste; I saw a GUY in his 20's who was wearing a New Kids on the Block t-shirt. Yes. He didn't look like a hipster either who was wearing it as a joke. I am pretty sure he is a legit fan. He's pretty brave to wear such a thing in public, to spin it in a positive light.

After that I went to the local Friendly Confines in order to have dinner. I hadn't been there in awhile. This time there were plenty of old drunks sitting at the bar but at least I had a spot to sit at. I had the usual of their chicken fingers and a beer. The drunks were usually pretty entertaining, at least. The highlight was seeing a guy who resembled former pro wrestler Arn Anderson; he was a jovial drunk, and apparently it was that gravelly-voiced dude's birthday. Good times. They were actually offering something known as a Bacardi Bucket, and in several different flavors. For only 12 bucks you get to drink a mixed drink out of a 32 ounce bucket. That sounded like trouble in the making so I declined. Plus, I'd look like such an alcoholic downing such a thing during the 6 PM hour. That's why I stuck with a beer instead.

After that I left and went to a place I hadn't been to in far too long... Total Wine & More, which sells more than just wine, but many different types of hard liquor and a wide variety of beer, from the popular brands to craft beers, which is more my thing. For example, I got a bottle of banana bread beer! True story. They also sell craft sodas, which I like picking up too as something different. I think I've mentioned it here before but Capt'n Eli's Parrot Punch... that's some tremendous soda right there. After that I drove home and dealt with the usual knuckleheads on the highway.

Here's the random break to talk about a random spam e-mail I got. This time I got one with a subject line that was rather blunt. All it said was, “Your love tool is set to thrill”. Alright then.

Friday wasn't too exciting, except that I uproariously laughed when I was watching ESPN at dinner (what I usually do, although it usually isn't my choice to watch it; I prefer to watch that loathsome channel as little as I can) the crawl at the bottom revealed the winner of the mens trampoline competition at the Olympics. Yes, that is an official Olympic sport. The Chinese dude who won it... he has a name for the ages. DONG DONG. Yes, that is his name. I was amazed someone has such a name. Even better, they showed a few minutes of the trampoline competition on NBC at like 11:45 PM ET and they showed Dong Dong's winning performance. I still laughed at his parent's decision for what they should call their son.

Saturday, the only thing I did was go to Target to walk around and get some exercise, and see what they had. It turns out, they had (only in 2 liter bottle form) a new Mountain Dew flavor, Dark Berry, themed after a certain film that's out now; you can figure it out just from what the flavor is titled. I can also tell you that Hersey's Milk Chocolate Drops are pretty darn great. What wasn't so great was the traffic there and back. Even with a short trip into town and back there was drama involving a bunch of dopes; there was more than one person driving too fast and tailgating my ass... the first time happened in my neighborhood and so when that person driving a top-heavy SUV swerved at the last minute to avoid a squirrel (!), they didn't tip over if they had been going like 60 on the highway. Still, I wasn't happy with the traffic situation. In the evening I did watch on Fuel TV and then FOX the latest UFC show. The last few big ones weren't so great, but this one managed to be a lot of fun and the FOX portion was pretty great. I hope the UFC pay per view this upcoming Saturday is as good as this one.

Sunday, it was a lazy day where I was a lazy-ass bum, pretty much. However, I do have to mention the landing of the Mars rover known as Curiosity. I did watch that online... at least, the NASA people following it and then partying like it was 1999 when it was successful. The biggest thing I got from that (many others noticed it too) is that apparently, someone at NASA has the all-time great name of FUK LI. Yes. That is even more hilarious than Dong Dong.

I'll be back a week from today, as almost always. The upcoming week should be a little more fun than what I wrote about today, as besides the UFC pay per view there's more Olympics-watching and I plan on doing another activity or two. The blog covering the 13th to the 19th will be busier than usual; The Expendables 2 is coming out, The Raid: Redemption and Jaws is coming out on Blu-Ray, there's a fun MMA show to watch on Showtime, and I expect that week to be pretty nutty.

No comments:

Post a Comment