Saturday, February 19, 2022

Ghostbusters: Afterlife, Nightmare Alley, Scream, Death on the Nile, Blacklight & Licorice Pizza

Once again I waited too long to do another one of these so once again it will be a two-parter, the second part to be posted tomorrow. So far in 2022, there have been ups and downs, but overall I've been fine. Also, somehow I'll turn 41 (!) on Tuesday. For today, I'll mention the theatrical movies I've seen; this will be shorter than what I post tomorrow.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife I saw basically because someone late last year asked me about it... this is what I did so I could say on Facebook that the movie was fine. It goes in hard on the nostalgia for the first film so it doesn't exactly feel fresh yet overall it's still good as it was charming enough & has enough heart for me. A few days ago I revisited Ghostbusters II for the first time in literally decades because director Ivan Reitman passed away. That was also fine.

Nightmare Alley was something I enjoyed; in fact, I liked it as much as I did the original 1947 film noir. Both are based on an old book I've never read but the new version of course has stronger violence and more time spent at the carnival, which was fascinating to me as the old carnival world was fascinating.

Scream was good-while not really necessary at least it was the best in the franchise since the second one and wasn't quite so ham-fisted like the last one was. At this screening was a vocal person-you know, the type to yell out, “No, don't do it!” during certain scenes. That was actually fine with me to have such reactions when watching a slasher movie.

Blacklight was not too good. Most of these Liam Neeson Old Man Action movies are fine-sure, they're generic but they're fine. Blacklight wasn't that; it was just lousy and totally forgettable instead.

Death on the Nile was another movie I'll say was fine; the same goes for Murder on the Orient Express. I saw Murder theatrically so mainly for that reason I figured to do the same with its long-delayed sequel which was shelved for so long that several people in the cast got in real life trouble for their behavior;what Armie Hammer is accused of, yikes.

Licorice Pizza wasn't my favorite Paul Thomas Anderson movie (it's no There Will Be Blood or Boogie Nights) but it was still very good. For those that were baffled w/ the title like I was, it used to be a chain of record stores in Southern California-you see, records have the taste of black licorice (hopefully they taste better...) and are pizza pie shaped, so there you go. Beforehand, I was surprised also at the age difference between the two leads; except for the ending shot I can't complain about that relationship. It was a movie in the early 70's where they engage in various adventures; it was fun and of course the soundtrack was great.

I'll be back tomorrow with the other highlights of 2022 so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment