Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Space 220, Candyman, Malignant, No Time to Die, Last Night in Soho, Dune & Halloween Kills

I realize, this has been a LONG, LONG time coming. I haven't felt like doing one of these in months for a variety of reasons. It is nothing major or anything to be concerned about; it's more apathy than anything else, yet I am doing fine overall despite some ups & downs and not everything going as expected. Just note that I've overall been fine as of late, there is a reason why I am doing this now (and will post again tomorrow where I'll reveal more highlights of the fall season) and for certain I'll return on the last day of 2021 to talk about something which I won't reveal until then. For now, a special restaurant I visited then some of the movies I've seen as of late.

Space 220 is a new restaurant at Epcot and it is heavy on a theme-in this case, on a simulated elevator ride you are having (an expensive) dinner at a space station. As I've been interested in the topic since a little kid, I had the urge... so much so, I went there on opening day. There was a long wait but to me it was literally worth the wait. It is a one time only thing for me-it is an place that offers three course meals where I had such food as “burrata di mozzarella”, artichoke hearts, romesco, “haricot vert”, and “potato leek croquette”, which is way outside my usual wheelhouse. As I never eat at fancy restaurants, it was worth doing it once, although otherwise I am fine eating at sports bars and whatnot. The atmosphere there IS great.

Now, onto the movies I've seen theatrically...

Somehow I did not mention that I saw the Candyman remake/sequel back on the 1st of September. It wasn't as good as I had heard. While it had some moments, it had major issues and the apparent message of “all white people are bad” was controversial...

Malignant: No surprise that many in the general public were baffled by this. It was made for a specific niche audience—one I happen to be a part of so I knew the influences and was able to guffaw at how bonkers it got in the final act.

Halloween Kills: Meh. I had major problems with the story, ones where the graphic violence on display couldn't help mask.

Last Night in Soho: While parts of the plot I could carp about, overall it was pretty good. Great lead performances, stylish atmosphere and a groovy soundtrack definitely help.

Dune: It was great. I've never read the book but this was quite the journey. The David Lynch original movie was compromised yet isn't as bad as you may have heard.

No Time to Die: Another “Meh”. It was way too long and a bad final act culminated in a decision I don't understand or agree with.

House of Gucci: It was fine, although talk about tone issues. Some performances are more nuanced while some (especially Jared Leto) are way over the top.

 

Oh, and I saw Gremlins theatrically last Friday night. It wasn't my first time as an adult; the movie s still an 80's classic.

Like I said, another one of these will go up tomorrow afternoon where I'll share the rest of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment